Get new pool pump or fix current one that leaks?

Aug 10, 2014
Auburndale, fl
The tank body on my pool pump is leaking. It's only one area that I've noticed, but it leaks quite a bit. I'm going to do some research and see if there is anything to try to fix that, but if not, I'm wondering if I should fix it or just get a new eco one that will potentially save me money. I also know my leak will be fixed this way because it'll be a whole new pump.

From the information I've gathered a have a:

A100Ell - 1 Hp Motor 115 230V
Sta-Rite a5e-124l

ypI6IPL.jpg

g3vhzFl.jpg

That's all the information I have. The part in question that is leaking is the C176-47P1 tank body. I have found it on Amazon for about $85 with all gaskets, since it'll be taken apart. I have no idea how old this pump is because I am the second owner to the house. I have been here a little over 3 years, so I know it's at least 3. :p

I'm just wondering if it's worth fixing, assuming it'll only cost me about $85, or to just get a newer energy efficient pool pump. The one I had in mind was the Hayward SP2300VSP. It'll run me about $650, but hopefully would save me a little money every month, and more importantly, in the long run. I really didn't want to spend $650, but if it will save me money I won't mind doing it. As I said before, I know this will fix my leak.

I don't know how to figure how how much each would cost me to run, but I run my current pump now about 4 hours each day. In the Summer I go up to about 8. Any advice would be appreciated!

The math is pretty simple. You'll have to decide on your appetite for risk.

Let's assume you have 2 choices: $85 will fix the problem--or $650 will buy a new pump ($565 extra).

So how long does it take to save $565 in electricity? It depends on a lot of things....but if you assume $0.11 per kWh, 4 hours per day for 4 months, 8 hours per day for 8 months....your payback time is just over 2 years. In other words, the money you spent on a new pump will be saved in monthly electrical bills in 25 months.

So how confident are out that the $85 repair will fix your problem? If it doesn't, then you're out $85 PLUS $650.

What else could you be doing with the money instead of purchasing new pump? Are you ok spending money now that you will only see incrementally and won't recover until 2017?

I'm more of a long-term kinda guy, so my vote is to replace it now and start saving now. You'll eventually have to replace the pump motor anyway, so you might as well take care of it all now. (I love spending other people's money!)

Or you could also consider a 2 speed pump which would be cheaper than the VS pump. Running on low speed would also save on electric.
If you could add all your pool and equipment info to your sig that will help us better help you, thanks !

The math is pretty simple. You'll have to decide on your appetite for risk.

Let's assume you have 2 choices: $85 will fix the problem--or $650 will buy a new pump ($565 extra).

So how long does it take to save $565 in electricity? It depends on a lot of things....but if you assume $0.11 per kWh, 4 hours per day for 4 months, 8 hours per day for 8 months....your payback time is just over 2 years. In other words, the money you spent on a new pump will be saved in monthly electrical bills in 25 months.

So how confident are out that the $85 repair will fix your problem? If it doesn't, then you're out $85 PLUS $650.

What else could you be doing with the money instead of purchasing new pump? Are you ok spending money now that you will only see incrementally and won't recover until 2017?

I'm more of a long-term kinda guy, so my vote is to replace it now and start saving now. You'll eventually have to replace the pump motor anyway, so you might as well take care of it all now. (I love spending other people's money!)

That's what I'm worried about. I'll have to give it a good look and see if I can find anywhere else that is leaking. I just have to figure something out soon because the pump is losing so much pressure that I can't even run my creepy crawly. I'm leaning towards just buying the new pool pump because I know my issues will be fixed, and in the long run it'll save more money. Even if it takes 2 years, then I come out ahead. It would probably be more than that because I have to keep adding water to my pool, which usually equates to about $15 extra every month. I know that isn't a huge savings, but it's a savings.

Or you could also consider a 2 speed pump which would be cheaper than the VS pump. Running on low speed would also save on electric.
If you could add all your pool and equipment info to your sig that will help us better help you, thanks !

That's a for sure thing to do, and it would save money also compared to my current pool pump. It would also probably save me some money compared to buying that $650 pool pump I mentioned in the OP. I need to look at all my pool equipment, so I will add it to my sig in the next day or two.

Hello Neighbor. (I'm in Lakeland.)
You need to look at it as 2 different issues. Dry side - electric motor and Wet Side - Pump.
One: Inefficient motor. Electric rates are cheap here. I Variable speed motor really won't payback in the life of the motor. You're better getting a 2-Speed motor and run in low.

Second. Leaking pump. You can purchase a seal kit and replace all the seals. Also replace the Shaft Seal on the motor all for less than $100.

The wet side doesn't really wear out, the seals need to be replaced but overall they are pretty bullet proof. There's only one moving part (the impeller) and that's connected to the motor shaft.

You can get a remanufactured 2-speed motor for less than $200 (Maybe another $50 for a switch) and a seal kit for another $100 so for $300 you'll have a "new" two-speed pump setup. You'll be good for 5 years or so and saving energy.

Is this your pump: http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/DuraGlasOM.pdf

for ease of maintenance and peace of mind, which is worth something, I would replace the pump with a 2 speed if the budget allows.

I'll most likely get a 2 speed at least. I'm not gonna lie, I don't know much about pumps and I guess efficiency kind of works like this: Single < 2 speed < variable ? 2 speed will probably be my lowest one I buy, but I think I have seen single eco models.

Hello Neighbor. (I'm in Lakeland.)
You need to look at it as 2 different issues. Dry side - electric motor and Wet Side - Pump.
One: Inefficient motor. Electric rates are cheap here. I Variable speed motor really won't payback in the life of the motor. You're better getting a 2-Speed motor and run in low.

Second. Leaking pump. You can purchase a seal kit and replace all the seals. Also replace the Shaft Seal on the motor all for less than $100.

The wet side doesn't really wear out, the seals need to be replaced but overall they are pretty bullet proof. There's only one moving part (the impeller) and that's connected to the motor shaft.

You can get a remanufactured 2-speed motor for less than $200 (Maybe another $50 for a switch) and a seal kit for another $100 so for $300 you'll have a "new" two-speed pump setup. You'll be good for 5 years or so and saving energy.

Is this your pump: http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/DuraGlasOM.pdf

Hello neighbor!

That does look exactly like my pump. The motor is fine and isn't wet at all. The part that is cracked is the housing on the impeller, which I called tank body in the OP. The crack is near the threads on top where the impeller is. It's actually right beside that threaded part and one of those fin looking things. It just pours out water. I would say I have to put water in the pool every 4-5 days because it starts to reach the first step, so it is a major leak, IMO. While the seals and gaskets are old, they do not leak from what I've noticed.

Again, the motor is fine from what I've seen, as it runs fine. The only problem is that crack in the housing of the impeller area doesn't let the pump create enough suction so my creepy crawler can work. I think if I'm going to spend roughly $300, I rather just get a new one, even if it means spending about $200+- for a dual speed pump. That would save me a little over the one I mentioned in the OP, and still give me peace at mind. When I have a chance this week to look at it, I'm going to make sure nothing else is leaking. If it isn't, then I have to think real hard about whether I want to try to fix it or not for about $85. I'm leaning towards just buying a new one, but we will see when I can look at it good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.