Pool leaks down below skimmer

wadeintothemystic

Sep 19, 2013
I bought a home with a pool last year (this is my second home with a pool), and have had constant problems. I kept losing water down to the bottom of the skimmer all last summer, then it would stop. I have an Acapulco ledge with bubblers, I thought that might be the problem. I plugged the bubbler pipes and was still losing water. Found out that if I shut off the skimmer, I didn't lose water. I tried Fix A Leak, and worked for a couple of weeks. A neighbor told me that the previous owner had the same problem, and they put a camera down the skimmer pipe, and said the pipe was leaking just after the elbow from the skimmer. The previous owner's fix was not to use the skimmer (for 19 years).
This year I am battling dead algae. When I use the pool vac I lose suction on the suction pump. I still haven't fixed the skimmer problem, dreading having to tear up the concrete. It was poured the summer before last (why the owner didn't fix the leak at that time still baffles me). Any suggestions on how to fix this problem, and if tearing up the concrete is inevitable?

Good morning and welcome (officially) to TFP! :wave: Well, unfortunately, if the pipe is cracked at or past the elbow as you indicated, the only way to fix it is to get in there and replace that damaged piece of pipe. Of course you have the option to call a leak detection company to confirm that is a problem, but it's a fee of probably $500 - $700 just for the leak service not the repair. So if you know that is a problem, and it sounds like it is, it's probably time to fix that thing once and for all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.