Pentair Superflo 1.5 Pump Motor Recommendations

May 3, 2015
Moorpark, CA
The bearings on my Pentair Superflo 1.5 h.p. pump starting getting noisy, so I ordered new motor bearings. While waiting for parts, the pump failed to start one day, and I could tell it was going into thermal cycling. I immediately cut power to the pump. Lucky me, I took the pump apart, and found that the motor windings had burned.

So now I have to replace the pump motor. Anyone have suggestions on what motor to get? Should I replace it with a variable speed motor to save electricity costs (very expensive electricity here)? I found this replacement variable speed motor, but it has fixed variable speed schedules. I'm not sure it will save all that much money. I run my current pump 3 hours a day.

UPDATE: I found this alternative model that lets you setup custom pump schedules.

Let me know if filtration suffers, other than the total volume, when the pump is run at low speed vs. high speed. I am trying to understand why anyone would use the higher speed at all.

Last edited:
The bearings on my Pentair Superflo 1.5 h.p. pump starting getting noisy, so I ordered new motor bearings. While waiting for parts, the pump failed to start one day, and I could tell it was going into thermal cycling. I immediately cut power to the pump. Lucky me, I took the pump apart, and found that the motor windings had burned.

So now I have to replace the pump motor. Anyone have suggestions on what motor to get? Should I replace it with a variable speed motor to save electricity costs (very expensive electricity here)? I found this replacement variable speed motor, but it has fixed variable speed schedules. I'm not sure it will save all that much money. I run my current pump 3 hours a day.

UPDATE: I found this alternative model that lets you setup custom pump schedules.

Let me know if filtration suffers, other than the total volume, when the pump is run at low speed vs. high speed. I am trying to understand why anyone would use the higher speed at all.
Check the service factor on the existing motor. If it is 1.1, you could use the Nidec Neptune NPTQ165 motor as a replacement. If 1.47 use the NPTQ225.
The user manual you reference is for a motor that is no longer made. The Neptune motor gives complete control of the pump with its attached drive unit. The Century motors still require the use of a time clock if you want your pool system to run at specific times. The new Century variable-speed motors are very limited in run and speed options.

Check the service factor on the existing motor. If it is 1.1, you could use the Nidec Neptune NPTQ165 motor as a replacement. If 1.47 use the NPTQ225.
The user manual you reference is for a motor that is no longer made. The Neptune motor gives complete control of the pump with its attached drive unit. The Century motors still require the use of a time clock if you want your pool system to run at specific times. The new Century variable-speed motors are very limited in run and speed options.
I appreciate the tip on the Neptune motor replacement. I have a service factor motor now that is 1.1. The Neptune motors look much more programmable than the Century units. I'm going to do some shopping for the Neptune NPTQ165.

Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.