Construction Time! Miami, FL New Pool with Pictures and Prices Included.

My skimmer is level but the extender doesn't even touch the skimmer throat, by about 3". It's just raw deck concrete connecting them...zero issue. I'm sure the only thing that will be different from normal is that the face skimmer opening will be slightly smaller after allowing for squaring up the opening with the tile.

I'm also eagerly awaiting, your build inspired me to do travertine on our decks. I had considered it too expensive but your pricing kicked me in the butt to find a distributor within my price range. Looking forward to seeing yours.

Hi guys! Sorry about disappearing for two weeks. I forgot to mention that I had a mini vacation to cater to. Pool plumbing inspection passed. We are having the electrical inspection tomorrow, which we have failed already twice for ridiculous reasons. In any case, pavers are already here awaiting for electrical to pass. I ended up going with French pattern travertine instead of the style like the picture from a neighbor I posted. The one company that had the 16x24 I could afford was out of stock for a month. I was able to secure the French pattern for 3.00/sq ft, and the 12x24 coping at $12 a piece. I will snap some pics tomorrow and share the progress..or lack thereof.

Electrical passed! I decided to install the concrete fence on the rear before laying the travertine, so I will probably need another 10 days or so for the fence to be up due to permitting.

Here are some pics in the meantime.

This is the travertine coping. The travertine pavers are about the same color (ivory)

Here's the Hayward Prologic automation system install and the soon to be equipment pad.

And lastly here's a look at the overall project. The wood cased holes you see is the ground bonding grid. There is one of these on each side of the pool.

Nice pictures!! We installed the 24" ivory travertine coping as well. We bought ours from NPT and they turned out GREAT!! After reading several message boards i plan to skip sealing them as it seems to have little effect. However, I'm still thinking of how to fill in all the little holes. Some have more holes than others, but over time I'm afraid of dirt and algae/mold growing in there. I'll have to start another thread to see what the community on TFP thinks on that.

Something that i dealt with that you may need to push is an expansion joint. In SoCal and especially my neighborhood, the ground tends to shift a little with the hot/cold weather. My previous pool had cracks near the water line because of this. I pushed for an expansion joint, but the re modelers left that out when they installed the coping. So i had them cut 1/4" all around the pool and fill it with deck o seal. hopefully, if you need this you can have them do this up front and save a bit of a headache.

I will go ahead and apply a sealant. I am hoping it would at least keep the travertine from stains as the color is pretty light.

With respect to the deck o seal, I am not sure I need that. I will be using travertine pavers laid on top of sand. I think deck o deal is mostly to join coping with a solid concrete deck slab...although I may be wrong. Maybe one of the pros may chime in.

Question, did you grout the travertine coping? What color grout did you use?

Nice pictures!! We installed the 24" ivory travertine coping as well. We bought ours from NPT and they turned out GREAT!! After reading several message boards i plan to skip sealing them as it seems to have little effect. However, I'm still thinking of how to fill in all the little holes. Some have more holes than others, but over time I'm afraid of dirt and algae/mold growing in there. I'll have to start another thread to see what the community on TFP thinks on that.

Something that i dealt with that you may need to push is an expansion joint. In SoCal and especially my neighborhood, the ground tends to shift a little with the hot/cold weather. My previous pool had cracks near the water line because of this. I pushed for an expansion joint, but the re modelers left that out when they installed the coping. So i had them cut 1/4" all around the pool and fill it with deck o seal. hopefully, if you need this you can have them do this up front and save a bit of a headache.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Very cool! Our tile guys used a much more primitive way to get it all level. It consisted of: a small canteen, a long clear plastic tube, water, and water coloring. The canteen was attached to a piece of rebar and was stuck next to the coping. The water would come out of the canteen in the tube (after calibration), and they would go along the entire edge of the pool and where the water level in the tube was, they would mark. That would be the lower line of the waterline tile. Physics won't lie! Although, the laser sure looks much more cool!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.