Construction Time! Miami, FL New Pool with Pictures and Prices Included.

Thank you all! My neighbor's builder went with a 2" overhang to give it a more pronounced "deck drop" look. I see that most people have it somewhere around 1"-1.25", so I decided to do mine at 1.5". I hope that will be short enough not to bother when inside the pool, but long enough to keep that drop look.

NEED FEEDBACK: So I decided to go with the same travertine and coping stile as my neighbor's pool (see example I posted earlier). I noticed on their pool they left a 2" overhang from the tile/coping into the water (measured from the wall of pool overhanging into the pool). I think this is a little too much overhang, isn't it? I was thinking of doing 1.25" overhang. Out of curiosity, how much overhang does your pool coping have? Apologies for making go grab the tape measure.

I recently installed a new build with travertine and thinks its 1"-1.5" overhang. Just enough for the little ones to hang onto :) the coping are 12x12 around pool perimeter and the decking blends right in.

NEED FEEDBACK: So I decided to go with the same travertine and coping stile as my neighbor's pool (see example I posted earlier). I noticed on their pool they left a 2" overhang from the tile/coping into the water (measured from the wall of pool overhanging into the pool). I think this is a little too much overhang, isn't it? I was thinking of doing 1.25" overhang. Out of curiosity, how much overhang does your pool coping have? Apologies for making go grab the tape measure.

Our old concrete deck was 2.5". Our new flagstone is about .75 - 1.25". I like the smaller overhang better.

Crooked skimmer! Today I noticed that my skimmer was installed about 3/8" unleveled. The forming contractor blames the gunite contractor, and vice versa. Thankfully the gunite crew is coming to fix this tomorrow. How big of a deal was this? Am I crazy for having them replace it?

- - - Updated - - -

Gorgeous!

there's no way in hel that's acceptable on a new pool install. that is visibly out of square w/o having to bust out a tape measure. i would have them fix that too... just remember that after you cut the checks, and the subs are long gone, that you will have to live with this, and you should always enjoy looking at the pool and swimming in it.

leaving that out of square like that in order to not call out the gunite contractor would be foolish on your part, and i am certain you would regret not saying something.

After consulting with the coping contractor, gunite and forming contractor, I decided to leave skimmer untouched. It is 3/8" off balance, but the surgery required to fix it was a little too invasive. The tile contractor assured me he would cover all white plastic of skimmer with the tile and at the end I would not notice a thing. It's just one of those things I will just have to live with. Contractors offered to fix without charge but I think the remedy would be worse than the disease.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know exactly what you mean. Our PB got the light in our grotto floor off center by almost a foot. It is quite noticeable and really bugs me. However, since it's encased in gunite, the only remedy would be to jackhammer out a 3-4 sq foot section which would compromise the integrity of the gunite there. So we are going to have to live with it.

I'm not an expert, but that crooked skimmer would really bother me. There is no tile job that would make that look straight. The opening will be crooked and the top part of the skimmer you access to clean will not be flush with the floor. I personally would stop the project and have that fixed. I'm dealing with a pool remodel and having to fight the GC/SC at each step to get things to look right. You are spending a lot of money and deserve much better than that.

Thank you. I will be replacing the skimmer. The paver contractor did check the level on the top of the skimmer, and it did look level. However just this morning I went there again and realized that the skimmer was leveled vertically not horizontally on the top. I was ready to live with a tile work disguising the problem but there is no disguising deck caps.

Just now I am halting the project until this is fixed.

Thanks everyone for planting the bug again. I owe you all a beer.

Well, we're definitely good at opinions, instigation and spending others money :) But in all seriousness, this forum is a great support system when the going gets rough. "Hang in there" is a common refrain across these threads. Good luck with the discussion and resolution. - Karen

OK - Ready for this one? I will not be replacing the skimmer after all. After MAJOR "discussions" with ALL contractors involved, I was assured that replacing the skimmer may yield more problems than solutions. Regarding the top of the skimmers being unleveled, the pavers contractor told me it doesn't matter because the top of skimmer will always need to be extended to be flushed with the travertine using an extender that comes with the skimmer. The extender is attached underground to the skimmer's top opening and brought to surface with the extender, leveled. I was also assured the glass tiles will cover all sides of skimmers and when its all done I would not be able to see any issues.

I didn't believe them, so I called a local builder whom I had quoted the project wit. I offered to pay for an inspection. He ended up not charging me and told me that this happens more often than I would think...its just that most owners don't ever realize. He confirmed that the only reason he would take out a skimmer is if the skewing is more than 3/4" because then there no way to five with tiling without being noticeable. He says that my skewing, being less than .5" will be completely concealed, as long as I used a good tile and pavers guy.

What? Ray Charles will be able to tell that thing is uneven. I've never seen a skimmer like that. They would be tearing the whole thing out and starting over if it was me. For the price of a pool I would expect better and certainly less stupid mistakes. Replacing it would be a hassle for them, so they don't want to replace it. But, its not my pool. I hope it works out for you.

I've seen tile jobs which pretty much conceal it and I was curious if the extension ring would self level.

Honestly, my concern would be with the issues you can't see. If the obvious looks bad, I'd be concerned about the overall job.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.