Ideal CYA for Startup/Heavy Sun/Metals?

Jul 8, 2011
I've been using BBB for 2 years now and am so thankful to all of you who have helped me enjoy the process of keeping my water balanced for my 18,000 gal plaster pool. I have a couple of CYA questions:

1. Last year my CYA was 70 but this year it's below 30 on the Taylor K-2006 (it doesn't even showing up on the test). I assume it's so low now due to lowering the water when it was winterized and the mounds of snow we had over the winter. I'm cautiously adding stabilizer so that I don't get too high, but in the meantime, will low CYA levels mean that I have to add bleach a lot more frequently in order to keep the FC up during this initial SLAMming process?

2. My pool is in sun from sunup till about 5pm. Should I shoot for the high end levels of CYA...50?

3. If that's the case then my shock level of FC would be 20, and since I have metals in my water (and refill from our well with iron in it), I tend to risk metal staining. Not sure what to do about this....just put and keep Jack's sequesterant in the water?

Thank you for the input, I greatly appreciate it!!!

Jen

(current test results are funky since I'm in the process of balancing the water after winterization)
FC: 1
CC: didn't test
pH: 7.0 (raising this to 7.5)
TA: 60 (raising this to 80)
CH: 350

Given the sun, I would shoot for 50ppm ... after you SLAM (if that is needed).
With metals, all you can do is keep feeding the pool sequestrant and hope the staining stays away.

I'd keep the pH at 7.2 for now. And use the sequesterent. That's normally a given with well water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.