Advice on aqua link conversion upgrade?

tomsop

Oct 18, 2012
I have been looking at the upgrade possibilities. I currently have the Jandy RS8 and the sticker on the indoor controller says version E. I assume I need the 7092 upgrade part but I am seeing there is the IQ-900 RS upgrade path that allows for me to upgrade the board at the controller and then connect an antenna to allow for me to use iaqualink to control the pool with a PDA. If I get the IQ900 I assume I no longer need an indoor controller.

My confusion is that the reason I am doing this is to install an e-pump (Jandy's VS pump) sowould my current RS8 indoor controller I assume would also need to be updated?

Do people to who upgrade to the iaqualink also upgrade the indoor controller or just take it out and use their computer/PDA to control the system?

Another question: The one video and the literature that I saw shows no need to replace wires and it looks like a fairly simple task of switching out the boards and reconnecting the wires with the exception of the new pump that would have some extra wires to allow connecting the variable speed features. Is this a task pretty straight forward? I also need to replace the spa jet pump and I am looking at the PHPF 1.5 Jandy pump for around $540 - is that a decent pump for the spa - the existing one is also 1.5HP which seems high but maybe that is because the spa jets are about 25 feet away from the pump.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

While a board-only upgrade will get you the hardware & software to run a VS pump, the IQ900RS is actually around the same price, or even a little cheaper than the board by itself. Be sure to avoid the "Rev S" versions that were produced a few months ago. They've been recalled due to bugs. You need R at minimum, and the T version just hit the market.

You are correct, you do not need an indoor controller. You don't need to (actually you can't) upgrade the indoor panel as long as you've got the "Touch" style or above. All of the software to communicate with the pump is on the new board. The real old "All Button" style controller may work, but won't have the ability to program any of the newer features.

On most of my upgrades, my customers have kept their indoor controllers, but mostly use their phone or PC to work the pool. You can download the app (android or iPhone) for free, and try it out by logging in with the address: virtual, and the password: virtual.

The wiring is as you've seen - just plug and play. The IQ900RS and the pump each include a generous amount of 4 conductor wire for connection to the new board. The only issues I've had (8 installations and counting) are with the WiFi antenna. It's a single whip 802.11b, so it needs a strong signal. It comes with a USB cable to attach to a laptop and program your SSID and password. There's a free (PC or Mac) app for this task that usually comes on a CD, or can be downloaded from Zodiac.

If you've got a dedicated pump for the spa jets, I'd spec a medium head VS-FHP pump for the main circulation. The one that's been out for a while is 2.0HP, which is over sized for most pools. Zodiac just put out a 1.0HP version which is plenty of pump (and cheaper!) for most situations, especially if you've got 2" or smaller piping. The PHPF 1.0 should do for the jets, but I normally like to see the installation before I stand on that recommendation. Length of pipe isn't the main criteria in pump sizing. The 25 ft run isn't the issue, it's the pipe diameter.

The iAqualink is a great choice, you'll love it.

Good Luck!
Steve

tomsop said:
I have been looking at the upgrade possibilities. I currently have the Jandy RS8 and the sticker on the indoor controller says version E. I assume I need the 7092 upgrade part but I am seeing there is the IQ-900 RS upgrade path that allows for me to upgrade the board at the controller and then connect an antenna to allow for me to use iaqualink to control the pool with a PDA. If I get the IQ900 I assume I no longer need an indoor controller.

My confusion is that the reason I am doing this is to install an e-pump (Jandy's VS pump) sowould my current RS8 indoor controller I assume would also need to be updated?

Do people to who upgrade to the iaqualink also upgrade the indoor controller or just take it out and use their computer/PDA to control the system?

Another question: The one video and the literature that I saw shows no need to replace wires and it looks like a fairly simple task of switching out the boards and reconnecting the wires with the exception of the new pump that would have some extra wires to allow connecting the variable speed features. Is this a task pretty straight forward? I also need to replace the spa jet pump and I am looking at the PHPF 1.5 Jandy pump for around $540 - is that a decent pump for the spa - the existing one is also 1.5HP which seems high but maybe that is because the spa jets are about 25 feet away from the pump.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Steve/poolkid......any advantages to the "T" version? I installed mine a few months ago....it's a "R". It's been pretty solid, so I have no real complaints.

Installation was a breeze...plug and play. I did continue to use my old wireless Jandy PDA for a week or two.....until I figured out it was the real source of my previous control board problems.

I replaced my old pump with an ePump about 4 weeks ago....again, plug and play. Just had to run the included 485 control wire to the controller. Pretty cool.

Mike...

I attended an all day training for Zodiac/Jandy yesterday and asked the trainer that same question. His answer was that the 'T' version is the same as the 'S' with the bugs that were causing lock ups removed. No features were added.

Upgrading from the 'R' to the 'T' added a feature the blinks the 'Auto' LED on the power center (I'm not sure how/when/why), improvements to the color LED pool/spa light, Smart JVA, and Cover Pools circuits.

Here's a chart showing the history of the upgrades.

11983142826_b8b5481a15_o.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.