Upgrade Aqualink RS8 and Aqualink2.0

christobol

Oct 26, 2023
Austin
My control panel has been acting flaky at times and doesn't want to respond to button commands (or might respond 5-10 seconds later so if I hit the pump button then wait a few seconds and hit it again it might finally respond to the first button press then a few seconds later respond to the second button press), then later works prompty. Also the web interface won't allow me in 50% of the time and I end up with the "Waiting for connection..." screen for minutes on end and can't get in. So I think it might be time to update the entire thing.
So it looks like I have:
RS8 P&S Rev T.2
RS Control Panel REV E
SpaLink RS (not sure of the REV) <-- currently not working with the equipment I think when the system was updated to RS8 or T.2 it was not included in the upgrade

Does anyone know if I need to update the RS Control Panel from Rev E to with with a newer RS8? Any other suggestions on the upgrade and REV to get?

Attachments

• image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    534.8 KB · Views: 7
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    494.1 KB · Views: 7
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    505.5 KB · Views: 6
  • image2 (1).jpeg
    image2 (1).jpeg
    534.8 KB · Views: 7
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    525 KB · Views: 6
  • image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    578.9 KB · Views: 6
So it looks like I have:
RS8 P&S Rev T.2
RS Control Panel REV E
SpaLink RS (not sure of the REV) <-- currently not working with the equipment I think when the system was updated to RS8 or T.2 it was not included in the upgrade

Does anyone know if I need to update the RS Control Panel from Rev E to with with a newer RS8? Any other suggestions on the upgrade and REV to get?
So the small control panel is not responding? If you put the main control panel in Service Mode - do those buttons work properly? Turn on pump, turn on lights, etc?
The Rev T.2 is still a good PCB, there is a later version but that is if only the PCB is not responding or is damaged.

With regard to the web interface, your Antenna is 2.0 which is known not to work well with mesh routers. Do you have a mesh router? There is a newer Antenna 3.0 that works much better with mesh routers. However, there have been some members able to use the 2.0 Antenna with a dedicated SSID from the router.

If it is only the small control panel then that can be replaced but not sure what the new model is, if any.
I would also say, if you can get the phone app or the PC to connect to the iAquaLink, if all the functions work, turn on/off lights, pumps, etc. then again the T.2 board is probably fine and only the small control panel needs to be changed.

So the small control panel is not responding? If you put the main control panel in Service Mode - do those buttons work properly? Turn on pump, turn on lights, etc?
The Rev T.2 is still a good PCB, there is a later version but that is if only the PCB is not responding or is damaged.

With regard to the web interface, your Antenna is 2.0 which is known not to work well with mesh routers. Do you have a mesh router? There is a newer Antenna 3.0 that works much better with mesh routers. However, there have been some members able to use the 2.0 Antenna with a dedicated SSID from the router.

If it is only the small control panel then that can be replaced but not sure what the new model is, if any.
I would also say, if you can get the phone app or the PC to connect to the iAquaLink, if all the functions work, turn on/off lights, pumps, etc. then again the T.2 board is probably fine and only the small control panel needs to be changed.
The small control panel isn't used much anymore, I think the phone app is the primary control point.

The problems with pressing the buttons on the main control panel occur when in Service Mode. Over the summer's heat I was having a devil of a time trying to control functions. Right now it's working mostly well.

The Antenna 2.0 has a hard wired ethernet connection to the network, so there shouldn't be any issues. Roughly 20% of the time the system shows a red dot in the iOS app. Then another 30-50% of the time when I try to connect to the web portal from the app to control schedules I get the perpetual "Waiting to connect.." error. This is actually my Dad's house and he is a bit fuzzy on details and what was done between the house being built 25 years ago and the upgrades he had others do to the pool equipment. So the setup is a bit strange, the antenna is located inside the house and around 100' from the pool equipment and my guess is a line was run from the equipment to his bedroom when the Aqualink was installed roughly 10 years ago. So we aren't dealing with a Wifi issue. It seems like the web hosting service is flakey too and I'm not sure if that's in the antenna's PCB or the main control panel's PCB.

Many times the antenna is brought inside when there is a hardwire connection. Therefore the wire is the only exposure.
I would open the AquaLink box. The antenna wire is attached to the RED connector. I would ensure all those wires are in the terminal properly. Maybe even cut them and reinsert each one. There are 4 wires - ensure each one goes in the proper terminal. Open up the antenna and verify all those connections are good, being inside they have not been exposed to the elements. Also, since you have a 100ft of wire to the inside, could any of it have a cut in it? A bite by a mouse?,

At times the Jandy web hosting has issues but not 30-50% of the time. So there is a connection issue. So if there is no wireless connection then need to verify all the hard wire connections. The other item would be the cat wire from the antenna to the router.

Note - turn off all power to the Aqualink when you are pulling the RED connector or doing other changes to wires.

Take a picture of the Aqualink when the front cover is off exposing the wiring of the equipment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.