Omnilogic upgrade to v 4.8.1

mikegross99

Apr 21, 2023
Edgartown MA
Hello all, I am upgrading my omnilogic pool controller from version 4.0.0 to version 4.8.1. I placed the upgrade file in the root of a SanDisk 16 GB USB drive as instructed as I was not able to download via the internet. When I enter service mode and select "Upgrade from USB" I do not see an option to upgrade the MSP. This photo shows my only options

1693930774155.png

And here is what my omnilogic controller shows as my current configuration.

1693930774283.png

Does anyone familiar with this Hayward upgrade know why the MSP would not be available for upgrade?

Mike

Attachments

• 1693930774213.png
    1693930774213.png
    84.1 KB · Views: 3
Have you tried selecting Omni PL?

1693930774155-png.527495

I upgraded in similar fashion this past weekend, from 4.4 to 4.8.1. I have not been able to do OTA firmware updates previously, similar to you @mikegross99. I would get the following response from the controller - there was an issue connecting to the upgrade server. I never received notifications or emails when firmware updates were available. I have several friends who have Hayward and all can OTA and get the notifications. Hayward seemed insistent that it is my internet’s problem. Pool service company refused to acknowledge it was possible, and just upgraded using a USB when I filed a warranty issue. Given that everything else in my vast empire of connected devices are fine, I never pushed the “I Believe” button. Interestingly, after using the USB to update to the highest published firmware (4.8.1), which I did because my app was giving me a special upgrade banner about a 9/5 upgrade requirement for stability (not a firmware notification under notifications), I am now getting a firmware upgrade notice which details that can upgrade to a more recent firmware release - 4.8. So, perhaps the upgrade fixed my OTA issue, but now wants me to upgrade to, what I assume is, a lower firmware release.

Any further thoughts on this @ajw22 and @mikegross99, and also interested to know if the upgrade above @mikegross99 resulted in the same scenario as you mention not being able to OTA previously.

I upgraded in similar fashion this past weekend, from 4.4 to 4.8.1. I have not been able to do OTA firmware updates previously, similar to you @mikegross99. I would get the following response from the controller - there was an issue connecting to the upgrade server. I never received notifications or emails when firmware updates were available. I have several friends who have Hayward and all can OTA and get the notifications. Hayward seemed insistent that it is my internet’s problem. Pool service company refused to acknowledge it was possible, and just upgraded using a USB when I filed a warranty issue. Given that everything else in my vast empire of connected devices are fine, I never pushed the “I Believe” button. Interestingly, after using the USB to update to the highest published firmware (4.8.1), which I did because my app was giving me a special upgrade banner about a 9/5 upgrade requirement for stability (not a firmware notification under notifications), I am now getting a firmware upgrade notice which details that can upgrade to a more recent firmware release - 4.8. So, perhaps the upgrade fixed my OTA issue, but now wants me to upgrade to, what I assume is, a lower firmware release.

Any further thoughts on this @ajw22 and @mikegross99, and also interested to know if the upgrade above @mikegross99 resulted in the same scenario as you mention not being able to OTA previously.
Hello @DoughertyCoolPool I do not think I can upgrade OTA post upgrade to 4.8.1. The only change I noticed is that I am now receiving alarms telling me I need to upgrade which I have cleared since I did upgrade. I am going to check to see if a setting on my Ubiquiti network controller is blocking my ability to download these updates and I will update this thread once I figure out the issue.

Reactions: DoughertyCoolPool
@DoughertyCoolPool - I cannot tell if my internet connection is working. I selected upgrade from internet and received a message back stating "Your system is up to date". It probably means the system looks at what I have in place and if it sees that the software is up to date, it does not access the internet to download newer updates. Eventually when new updates are released, I will know for sure whether it is working or not.

@DoughertyCoolPool - I cannot tell if my internet connection is working. I selected upgrade from internet and received a message back stating "Your system is up to date". It probably means the system looks at what I have in place and if it sees that the software is up to date, it does not access the internet to download newer updates. Eventually when new updates are released, I will know for sure whether it is working or not.
I think that function access the Hayward Server in the cloud and compares the available firmware with what is in your panel.

How else would the panel know the firmware version that is current?

I think that function access the Hayward Server in the cloud and compares the available firmware with what is in your panel.

@ajw22 - makes sense now that you mention it.

Thanks for the information. I plan to hit the “update” button tomorrow night and see what happens. I have some reservations, because I’m at 4.8.1 according to the Omni controller. Not exactly sure what it is planning to do, but I don’t want to find out at 9:00 pm. I’ll update as well if I now have OTA. Based on the fact that yours said you are up to date, that tells me it’s talking to something. As mentioned above, mine usually says it can’t connect. Your message would be a positive step for me, I think.

Reactions: mikegross99

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the information. I plan to hit the “update” button tomorrow night and see what happens. I have some reservations, because I’m at 4.8.1 according to the Omni controller. Not exactly sure what it is planning to do, but I don’t want to find out at 9:00 pm. I’ll update as well if I now have OTA. Based on the fact that yours said you are up to date, that tells me it’s talking to something. As mentioned above, mine usually says it can’t connect. Your message would be a positive step for me, I think.
Mine is also hardwired and I have had the same issue stating it cannot connect to the server. Hayward support has not been helpful at all.

Mine is also hardwired and I have had the same issue stating it cannot connect to the server. Hayward support has not been helpful at all.
Hi @Mpal. Mine was originally wireless. I changed to hardwired when I first started trouble shooting the OTA issue, 1.5 years ago it seems. That was Hayward’s first attempt to help me fix. Clearly did not help.

@Mpal, have you upgraded to 4.8.1? It seems that for @mikegross99 and me, it is at least talking to the server now. Interested to hear if 4.8.1 does the same for you.

I can confirm that my Omni, now at 4.8.1, appears to, for the first time ever, be able to connect to the upgrade server. That being said, when I select check for upgrade, it suggests I upgrade to 4.8. Why it wants me to upgrade by downgrading, I do not know. More to follow, if that ever becomes clear.

@mikegross99, above you said your at 4.8.1 and when you select upgrade, your Omni says you’re up to date. Assuming this is correct, we’re both at 4.8.1, both appear able to finally connect to upgrade server, and both get a different response when we do.

If there is a Hayward technical services representative trolling this discussion, now is a good time to chime in.

I can confirm that my Omni, now at 4.8.1, appears to, for the first time ever, be able to connect to the upgrade server. That being said, when I select check for upgrade, it suggests I upgrade to 4.8. Why it wants me to upgrade by downgrading, I do not know. More to follow, if that ever becomes clear.

@mikegross99, above you said your at 4.8.1 and when you select upgrade, your Omni says you’re up to date. Assuming this is correct, we’re both at 4.8.1, both appear able to finally connect to upgrade server, and both get a different response when we do.

If there is a Hayward technical services representative trolling this discussion, now is a good time to chime in.
@DoughertyCoolPool yes - confirming that my system tells me I’m up to date at 4.8.1.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.