1. Back To Top    #1

First test with tf 100

Ok my first test results are in
    FC. 6
    Cya 100
    Ph7.2
    Alk 110
    Cc 1.0

The cya seems out of whack. I guess stabilizer and a slamming are in order. Yes?
    Help please
    36,000 gal IG vinyl. Haywood pump and heater Hayward DE filter blue diamond robot. Hayward Aqua Rite SWG AQR-15

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First test with tf 100

What does your water look like?

Since your CC is greater than 0.5 ppm you likely need to do the SLAM process. See:http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...king_your_pool

...but first, your cya is too high. A 50% drain/refill is in order. What type of pool is this?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Your CYA level is too high. The only practical way to lower it to where it should be is to replace water. Ideally you want to get CYA down to around 50, though you certainly want it under 100 no matter what.

Before you get started on that, lets confirm that you really read 100. That means the liquid level in the sample tube was at (or below) the 100 mark and you couldn't see any sign of the black dot, even if you stared at it for a few seconds.

You might want to do the CYA test again, but this time mix equal parts of pool water and tap water, test that, and then multiply the results by two. That will tell you if your CYA level really is around 100, or is actually much higher. The CYA test will report any level over 100 as 100.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Is that FC of 6? It looks like you might have typed .6? Stabilizer is CYA. You don't need more. You need CYA level lowered. As a matter of fact, it's probably actually MORE than 100. FC of 6 is low for a CYA level of 100. Minimum is 7, unless you have a SWG. But again, I'm betting it's well over 100. You need to drain some water, and get a more accurate CYA reading. How many gallons is your pool?
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Pool is crystal clear. FC is six Pool is 39,200 gallons
    36,000 gal IG vinyl. Haywood pump and heater Hayward DE filter blue diamond robot. Hayward Aqua Rite SWG AQR-15

6. Back To Top    #6

Oh my pool is vinyl

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok. Then the first thing to do is establish more accuracy for the CYA level. When you perform the CYA test, instead of using half pool water, make that portion up of half pool water and half tap water, then perform the test as normal. Double the result. Post the result please.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok. Will do in a minute or two

9. Back To Top    #9

Now doubling it shows 180! Could thus be right!

10. Back To Top    #10

Did it again. 140

11. Back To Top    #11

Been there ... If the pool has been on a constant puck and granulated chlorine "shock" (the product not the process know as SLAM here) it could certainly be that high.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Well either way you are looking at a pretty significant water change, along the lines of 70-75%. Since you have been using trichlor pucks I would not be the least bit surprised if really is 180.

The good news is that you know there is a problem and what it is so you can fix it and get everything straightened out.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

13. Back To Top    #13

Have been using the new water cycler packs. That's trichlor. So what do I do? I can't drain 50% of my pool. That's 20,000 gaks

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

If you live in the southwest you could maybe hire a reverse osmosis company to literally filter everything out of your pool water, but it will run a few hundred dollars.

If you don't then water replacement is your only viable option. As it stands you need to raise your FC above 14 and keep it over that at all times. Your pH test will not be accurate at those levels so you can't really take proper care of your pool at this high of CYA.

Now you understand why we dislike pool stores that would sell you overpriced cycler packs that caused this problem...
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter

15. Back To Top    #15

I understand now! Just whish I would have know about you 6 years ago

16. Back To Top    #16

So, do I wait till next year and start fresh with the BBB method I guess I have no other options. Will the cya dissipate over the winter ?

17. Back To Top    #17

It pretty much never goes away on it's own.
    That's why there's so darned much of it...

I'm under-qualified for this thread but I've learned that much so far...
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

18. Back To Top    #18

In the Industry

The water needs replaced, if you don't do it this year then you need to do it next year. The CYA is most likely not going anywhere during the winter. I really wish there was an easier way, especially since this is the most common problem people have, but nobody has found one yet.

19. Back To Top    #19

Well, he could let it turn into a swamp during the winter and let the bacteria convert the cya to ammonia. Not sure if I'd want to be cleaning that mess in the spring though.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter

20. Back To Top    #20

In the Industry

I wouldn't suggest that for 2 reasons:
    1. There is no guarantee that this will work.
    2. If it does work (big IF) then he will have to not only clean a swamp but also eliminate the ammonia that is created from the breakdown of the CYA. With a 40k pool we are talking potentially over a hundred gallons of bleach to get the pool cleared and the CC levels back down. It could end up costing more than replacing the water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast