First Test Results?!

Thudson

Apr 29, 2024
Charlotte NC
Hey TFP community

We had our pool recently completed. 12,000 gallon saltwater pool. I'm trying to prioritize maintenance and keep things running smoothly and that's how I came across TFP. I quickly downloaded the app and purchased a Taylor 2006 test kit. My first test results are as follows:

FC: 4.6
PH: 8*
TA: 75
CH: 190 *
CYA: 35*
Temp: 75 F

I want to get this right the first time.. According to the Pool Math app, PH is high, CH is low, and CYA is low. What should my next steps be here to stay out of trouble?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum!
What type of pool surface do you have? Filling out your signature is a really big help.
I suggest you read through Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool
Great point on the signature, will do! It's a 14x30 Latham fiberglass. I'm spending time reviewing all the material, but as a newbie I'm worried that my pool is going to get un-swimmable before I know what I'm doing!

Last edited:
Great!
I would suggest adding enough muriatic acid to drop the pH by 0.4.
Start using a 10 ml sample for FC testing. Each drop to clear is 0.5 ppm FC.
Slowly start adding CYA. I would do it in 10 ppm segments. Be sure to adjust the FC levels as needed to maintain proper FC/CYA rations.
Your CH is fine. Fiberglass is a funny surface. It itself is in no need for calcium. But if you have waterline tile with cement based grout, or you have a gas fired heater that a manufacturer claims calcium is needed, then a minimum level of 200 ppm is recommended.

Great!
I would suggest adding enough muriatic acid to drop the pH by 0.4.
Start using a 10 ml sample for FC testing. Each drop to clear is 0.5 ppm FC.
Slowly start adding CYA. I would do it in 10 ppm segments. Be sure to adjust the FC levels as needed to maintain proper FC/CYA rations.
Your CH is fine. Fiberglass is a funny surface. It itself is in no need for calcium. But if you have waterline tile with cement based grout, or you have a gas fired heater that a manufacturer claims calcium is needed, then a minimum level of 200 ppm is recommended.
This is awesome help. My pool builder left me with some PH Minus Sodium Bisulfate. Can I use that up first or do you suggest only using muriatic acid?

The issue with sodium bisulfate is that the sulfates stay in the water and attack metals and cement. Your SWCG is metal. So if you only have a small amount to use up, that is fine. But do NOT use that product on a regular basis.