Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool filter

1. Back To Top    #1

pool filter

I have a Hayward DE filter system. While I am vacuuming my pool the dirt is shooting out the return pipes right back into my pool. Why is this? Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool filter

Welcome to TFP!!!

Well, either you are set on Recirculate. Or you did not add enough DE after the last backwash. Or your backwash valve is allowing water to bypass the filter. Or there is something wrong in the filter (torn grid, broken manifold, etc).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Which DE filter model you have? grids or fingers? Do you have a backwash valve?

i asks as i have a Hayward DE, fingers and NO valves. Very different than many IG pools.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a grid like filter, they are like panels. I do have a backwash valve, after I backwash and add DE it comes out into the pool also. I just spoke with another individual and they mentioned there may be a rip in one of the filter panels and that may cause it. Does that sound accurate to you?

5. Back To Top    #5

That was one of the posibilities I listed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Great, thanks for the help.

7. Back To Top    #7

You can normally find a replacement grid to replace the blown out grid. They are pretty easy to change. Do a search before you take it apart to see if there are any hints for your model.. Some of them are fragile when you take the top spanner off.

I don't have this style but IIRC some of them suggest only removing one grid at a time and replacing it before moving on to the next grid. They can be hard to rebuild if completely taken apart. Also, some of them have fragile areas.

These are not to scare you off from doing it, but rather to let you know it can be done and help is available.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the advice.