Apr 7, 2013
NJ
As I stated in an earlier post today my PB will be starting my project soon. They are planning to use 2 inch suction lines on floor drain and both skimmers all plumbed individually. They are planning to use 1.5 inch for all 4 pool returns, 2 deck jets and rock water fall for a total of 7 indivually plumbed return lines. All suction and returns are Sch 40 PVC. Should I request that the returns for everything but the deck jets be upgraded to 2 inch?

Set up is 20x40 freeform pool approx 28,000 gallons, two deck jets, one rock waterfall, Pentair IC 40, Pentair VS pump, Pentair Quad 80 Filter.

Thanks in advance.

If they are all separate, then no need for larger than 1.5" pipe ... likely could actually get by with smaller on all of them since likely all the flow will never be going through only one line.

You would only want to consider bigger if the 4 returns were in a loop together.
That said, my pool has the 4 return lines on a single 1.5" pipe loop ... no problems. But, would be nice if I could adjust the flow from each one like you will be able to.

Since they are running individual lines, 1-1/2" will be plenty big enough.

Hydraulically speaking, your PB has it right using 2" for the suction lines. Doing this reduces the suction head, allowing better flow to the pump, which then doesn't have to work hard to pull the water in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.