Hayward variable speed pump running speed

May 26, 2013
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum but have been lurking for a while now, and thank you for the vast information.
So I moved into our home about 6 months ago and I am assuming the actual size of our pool. I believe it is about 17000 gallons. I had a pool in our previous home so I am somewhat familiar on the care of our pool. The pool was running great and fairly clean for the most part. I knew my main investment was to replace the main pump (Hayward Northstar) for a variable speed pump. I finally dished out the funds and purchased the Hayward Ecostar 3400VSP pump. Once I installed it as it went pretty smooth, I started the pump and all was well. I set up the timing and the speed was set at 1750 rpm. The vacuum was moving fine and the spa overspill into the pool was working great. About 2 weeks after running the pump I noticed that the pool is collecting up more algae than normal even though the chemical levels are fine.
It is now three weeks after and I noticed that the algae is also collecting at the bottom of the pool, too. I scrub the pool at least two times a week. It seems that the pool vacuum isn't sucking enough of the bottom of the pool to keep it properly clean.

What should be the speed expected from this pump?

The main reason for changing out this pump was to save on energy costs. I did forget to mention that I live in Mira Loma, CA, where the average temps in the summer are in the 90's along with running the AC units more than normal. Your assistance and expertise is greatly appreciated.

Robert

First, welcome to the forum.

Next, the pump speed has nothing to do with algae. If you see algae in a pool, chemicals are NOT fine. Algae doesn't grow if you have the correct chlorine level for a given CYA level. Please post all of your levels, specifically, FC, CC and CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.