In a nutshell: 3 years ago my pool was built by a horrible all-in-one contractor. I took them to my state's registrar of contractors and won. They built a horrible water feature that was just a cesspool for bacterial to breed. I had another company come and fix it, but it still has its issues. I recently found this site and have started the shocking process of my pool due to what I believe to be mustard algae. I can get the pool up to shock level and it seems to hold pretty well, but I know I have to do something about my water feature.
Here's a pic of it:
I have two problems w/ this water feature:
1) There is a small pool of water left at each of the two pipes. Previous years I didn't run the water feature often so that water would evaporate after a few days and be gone. The problem is the water would become nasty while it was evaporating. Any time I then ran the water feature, that water was going into the pool. I currently run the water feature every night during the cleaning cycle to put fresh chlorinated water there because I have had algae issue in there before.
Here's a pic of their placements:
The currently chlorinate water still has a ton of crud in it, including poop and what small amounts of green algae.
Having the fresh water in these mini-ponds leads to problem number 2:
2) Rodents and birds. They are on the water feature every day. There is poop all over the rocks. I believe I see poop on the paster in the pool.
What do you guys think I need to do? I'm assuming if I get rid of the water source, the animals will go elsewhere.