Speedstir Magnetic stirrer

Hi, Rich,

DISCLAIMER - I sell it! :mrgreen:

I was skeptical of the darn thing for the first 6 months or more that it was available. I assumed it really had to be only for pool nerds (wait a minute....I am one so that argument didn't work :shock: ) and probably not of much real value.

I finally broke down and got my own and I got a sheepish grin on my face during the first test.....now I knew what everyone was talking about.

If Dave the skeptic has one, you know it has to be good :poke:. And like Richard320 says, you'll find you want MORE pills so you test everything before you clean up.

It always says swirl to mix, if your like me, I could never swirl, it was more like splash around in the vial :rolleyes:

LOL Same here Lefty.

Plus at times when I'd use the R-0870 DPD Powder there would be little crumbs of it higher up on the tube above swirl level, so I'd have to try to tip the tube to get the water to grab them. I didn't want to cap it, and start shaking it up like crazy trying to get the particles off the side because I was afraid I'd mess the test results up. The directions say, swirl, they don't say, shake. (LOL it's not a martini that's being mixed here, so we really don't have the options of whether or not it is shaken, or stirred).

So instead, I'd try to scape the powder off the tube sides with that little, short, plastic, not even close to being a spoon thingy that comes with the powder, yet is too short to reach the bottom of the tube, then I'd have swirl in those crumbs with the rest of the water, etc. A Royal Pain for sure.

LOL, and you ALL can feel free to laugh along with me on this, and get a free laugh at my expense. I'll admit that I did make the mistake, and used the wrong end of the plastic, not even close to being a spoon thingy for the above task. :stirpot:

Which for future reference, and as an FYI for Everyone reading this, DO NOT, I repeat, Do Not, get the scoopy end of that thing wet because 1)It turns it black, making it look really gross, and 2) All the drying, or the little spongy thing that it hangs over to drip on in the kit once it's turned black, doesn't seem to help it dry at all.

So, you end up with the powder for your next test getting stuck inside your now Black, plastic, scoop, and there you stand, looking really stupid and confused, :confused:wondering how the heck to get it back out of the scoop without getting it wet again, or wasting the powder, and starting over. It's a vicious cycle, so learn from my mistake on this one.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

I got The speed stir when i ordered my test kit, it makes it so much easier! I have since ordered 3 more mag-pills and vials, like Richard320, and just have to clean everything at one time, it really speeds up water test time!

Did my first test with it today! (got to go update my sig :cool: )

9671DC20-84C2-4DAE-AC47-0185A89A44C0_zpsek1qta4d.jpg

Dom

I've had my Speedstir for a few years and I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. The other day I went to use it and it wouldn't turn on, so I assumed the batteries needed replacing. I did my testing by manual swirling and hated it compared to my Speedstir.

By the way, my Speedstir didn't need new batteries afterall. I had simply forgotten to put the magnet in the vial :brickwall:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What evidence do you ned.

A side-by-side comparison with the same water sample and the same tests, one swirled by hand the other with the Speedstir. If the swirled sample showed different results each time and the Speedstir showed the same, and this happened consistently with different users, I might be convinced. The thing is, I know my swirling is accurate because I get the results I expect based on PoolMath. And if mechanical swirling is so essential, why do the directions in the Taylor kit make no mention of it? Do the directions in other kits say swirl or use mechanical swirling?

Just to clarify, I don't want Speedstir users (or anyone else) to think that I think that it's a bad purchase. Swirling by hand could certainly be difficult for some and the Speedstir would be a god-send for them. For others I suspect it gives them peace of mind that their results are correct. And for others, they just love gadgets! All that matters is doing whatever it takes to keep our pools trouble free.

Are these the extra vials that will work for the SpeedStir? http://tftestkits.net/Taylor-Calibrated-Cylinder-p66.html

- - - Updated - - -

Or are it these or does it matter which one? http://tftestkits.net/Graduated-Cylinder-Chlorine-only-p22.html

- - - Updated - - -

well here's a 3rd one too. http://tftestkits.net/Graduated-Cylinder-Plain-p23.html
I'm pretty sure all those will work with the SpeedStir.

If you are using a SampleSizer I believe you need the Taylor cylinder (1st link)

Just finished another test. I don't know if it's any more accurate, but it sure is a lot easier (and more fun).

I can see another order of R-0871 in my future LOL.

Dom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.