Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG pros/cons

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG pros/cons

Replacing liner and been thinking about adding a SWG. I'm very tired of testing and adding bleach daily. Does the SWG make it easier to maintain your FC level? thanks for any information. I've been bleach for two seasons.
    16X32 Rectangular In Ground Built 1998, New Vinyl liner and Motor 8/2012, 19,000, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Super Pump,PoolPilot DIG-220 SWG, 2 Skimmers, Main Drain, Clean Machine Robot, Full Sun, Bleach, TFTest Kit
    Central, VA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG pros/cons

I have a cheap Intex SWG. I see a bit more corrosion with the salt but I will live with that because the ease of having the SWG hugely outweighs the con. I haven't added chlorine manually for a few weeks now. My SWG runs 4 hours a day, I test chlorine levels an average of every other day. SWG is painless from my experience.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

3. Back To Top    #3

First, SWG are generally more about convenience than cost savings. You will still need to be testing pH and FC levels at least a few times a week.

Pro: no hauling bleach, more consistent lower FC level, easier to go on vacation
    Con: upfront cost, possible corrosion, faster pH rise
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I got my first pool last year and an Intex SWG at the same time. So I'm afraid I can't offer any comparison, as I have never used the daily bleach method before. Having said that, I would not want to be without my SWG. I'm not a very dilegent person, so I would also get tired of having to test and add bleach everyday. I do have to keep an eye on the pH though, as it tends to rise with an SWG, but only every few days. Plus, it just plain works. My pool is crystal clear. If you're interested in an SWG, then I'd say go for it. They do make pool maintennance much easier.
    Intex 18ft x 52in Ultra Frame Pool, hard plumbed w/skimmer and fountain
    Intex 4000 gph cartridge filter pump
    Intex SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

I hate to sound stupid but what is an SWG?

Richard

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by abru88CJ
    I hate to sound stupid but what is an SWG?

Richard
    Not stupid, just new to the terminology.

SWG = SaltWater (chlroine) Generator

I recommend you start reading Pool School (button at upper right of the page) to learn some of the our crazy terminology
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Sounds like it's the way to go. Are they easy to install?
    16X32 Rectangular In Ground Built 1998, New Vinyl liner and Motor 8/2012, 19,000, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Super Pump,PoolPilot DIG-220 SWG, 2 Skimmers, Main Drain, Clean Machine Robot, Full Sun, Bleach, TFTest Kit
    Central, VA

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by koliver13
    Sounds like it's the way to go. Are they easy to install?
    Not too bad. Some more complicated than others (I think the complication of install is directly related to how many features the unit has). Basically salt needs to be added to the pool at least 24 hours ahead of time, a control panel/power supply needs to be wired into power, the cell needs to be plumbed into the pool plumbing, then the cell connected to the control panel/power supply.

My Pool Pilot Digital install took me probably 4 hours spread over two days, but only because I had to deal with mounting it in a shed, changing up the incoming power wire, etc. If I left everything outside I probably could have finished in half the time.
    22K IG vinyl, .5HP Northstar pump, S244T filter, AutoPilot Digital w/SC-48 cell

9. Back To Top    #9

Got my SWG with my pool 2 years ago. The only CON I have is that I can't use it throughout the year. I keep my hot tub running all year and go back to chlorox during the cold months. Going away for a week or weekend is fun knowing that the pool is getting plenty of chlorine. All PRO's here!!!
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Simple to install, at least mine was. Doesn't get any easier.

Why do you run your pump 24/7?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes, i do run my pump 24/7 is that important?
    Central, VA

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by koliver13
    Yes, i do run my pump 24/7 is that important?
    I think RobbieH was asking why you run the filter 24/7.

Since a SWG is a constant source of chlorine (i.e. providing chlorine as long as its powered up and the filter is running), if you keep running 24/7 you will need a unit that can go down to almost a trickle of output to prevent overchlorination.

Your choices are to not run the pump 24/7 or put the SWG itself on a timer so its only running part of the time while your pump runs 24/7.
    22K IG vinyl, .5HP Northstar pump, S244T filter, AutoPilot Digital w/SC-48 cell

13. Back To Top    #13

But you also should not have to run your pump 24/7. You are just burning electricity!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

14. Back To Top    #14

Sorry miss read that. I just always have. It wouldn't bee a problem to run it part of the day. Is it best to run during the day when in use or overnight? Thanks for the input.
    Central, VA

15. Back To Top    #15

I think it is best to run the swg during the day (when it is needed most).

I love my swg...the only issue I have is since it is so simple and hands off, sometimes the temptation to not "need" to test is there, so one could loose track of the pool chemistry. Then even with a swg there can be problems.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.