New pump suggestions

CLW42

May 8, 2014
Merrimac, MA
Hi Everyone.

I'm thinking of replacing my pump this year. It's a 12 year old Hayward SP2607X10. I've replaced the guts a couple of times due to nuisance leaks, but it's coming out pretty good this year and I figured I'd take the opportunity to upgrade to something a little better. Honestly I have no idea what I want, but I'd like something more efficient for sure. So I'm completely open to suggestions.

My pool is 28,500 gallons (+/-). 18'x36' rectangle with shallow end steps and a deep end "swim out"

Filter is a Hayward SwimClear C5030

Also using a Circupool SWG. UL series.

Unfortunately, I only have 1 1/2" plumbing.

Two returns one in the shallow end one in the deep end on opposing corners.

One skimmer for the top and two more in the deep end floor.

VSP is the way to go - buy big, run slow for greater efficiency. I replaced my single-speed Hayward 1.5hp with a Calimar 3HP - I now run at about 300-400 watts, rather than 1800...move plenty of water, and its SUPER quiet.

If you have no automation (and don't intend to add it) then the Calimar pump is hard to beat for the price - they do make an automation board for it, but it's fairly limited in what it can do. That said, its super cheap, so far seems to be as reliable as anything in the Pool-u-verse, and you can snag an extended warranty on it from some suppliers. Figure $500-ish, maybe $100 more for a 3 year warranty.

If you are more into the automation, or prefer a more close-to-home brand, probably some of the Pentair/Hayward VSPs might be a better choice, but they are generally more expensive.

Either way, you'll probably have to do a little plumbing to get from the 1.5" to the 2" fittings, but thats easy-peasy PVC stuff.

VSP is the way to go - buy big, run slow for greater efficiency. I replaced my single-speed Hayward 1.5hp with a Calimar 3HP - I now run at about 300-400 watts, rather than 1800...move plenty of water, and its SUPER quiet.

If you have no automation (and don't intend to add it) then the Calimar pump is hard to beat for the price - they do make an automation board for it, but it's fairly limited in what it can do. That said, its super cheap, so far seems to be as reliable as anything in the Pool-u-verse, and you can snag an extended warranty on it from some suppliers. Figure $500-ish, maybe $100 more for a 3 year warranty.

If you are more into the automation, or prefer a more close-to-home brand, probably some of the Pentair/Hayward VSPs might be a better choice, but they are generally more expensive.

Either way, you'll probably have to do a little plumbing to get from the 1.5" to the 2" fittings, but thats easy-peasy PVC stuff.

Is that the same pump as the Black and Decker? It looks the same aside from the color scheme. I had been looking at the B&D.