Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar pool skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Los Angeles, CA

Solar pool skimmer

Hey everyone!

Has anyone come across this solar pool skimmer? If yes, is it worth buying it with the $500 price tag?

Suley, West Hills, CA
    IG 23000 Gallons with IG Spa Gunite plaster, Pentair Intelliflo VS 3HP, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 Cartridge filter, Teledyne Laars One series 400,000 BTU Nat Gas Heater, Hayward Max Flo 1HP Single Speed Spa pump, Noisy Spa blower, Dolphin Deluxe 4 robotic vacuum.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Phoenix, AZ

Re: Solar pool skimmer

In my opinion, this is not necessary. If you are having issues with surface debris, I would recommend tweaking your main drain / skimmer flow rates, and adjust the direction of your return lines (if possible). Intuitively, it would seem that pointing returns upward would move the surface best..but in my experience pointing them downward provides the best circulation. But every pool is different.

As a side note, I think MOST things at Sharper Image are very fun IDEAS..but often over-priced and under-preform. I have shopped there many times in the past, and it seems like everything I buy is cool for a week or two..then just seem silly, and ends up collecting dust.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Solar pool skimmer

Quote Originally Posted by blakej
    As a side note, I think MOST things at Sharper Image are very fun IDEAS..but often over-priced and under-preform.
    This is my opinion as well.

I had considered the Remote Controlled Skimmer for some entertainment, but after reading reviews quickly changed my mind.

Now if there was a better version of this that was more powerful with only 1 drive engine and real steering (instead of differential throttles) ... I might have to get it
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!