Pump size recommendation with solar heater (1 floor)

Feb 25, 2015
Davis, CA
My neighbor has a Pentair 3HP VS pool pump that recently went out. The pump is most likely not worth fixing, so I am trying to help him pick a new pump. I think that a 3HP pump is bigger than he needs, and he can go with a smaller pump. I am thinking of a smaller pump because of the cost. The current equipment pad is maybe 15ft to 20ft from the skimmer. He also has solar that is almost directly above his equipment pad. The solar consists of four 12x4ft panels. The house is one storey. I think the filter is a Hayward Swim Clear 225 or 325. I believe all the pipes are 2". Would a 1.5HP or 2HP pump be able to prime the solar system?

What model solar control panel is being used?

You need to get a pump compatible with his solar controller. That is more important then the pump HP.

What model is the Pentair VS pump that recently went out?

What model solar control panel is being used?

You need to get a pump compatible with his solar controller. That is more important then the pump HP.

What model is the Pentair VS pump that recently went out?
No controller for the solar heater. He manually turns it on and off with the valve. Old Pentair VS was an Intelliflo VSF Variable Speed part # 356928.B. The pump rusted out Too many parts to replace, and no guarantee it will work properly with the part replacement.

A VS pump is a variable HP pump. The HP of the pump only makes a difference in the energy use and speed required for a specific flow.

With no controller I suggest he look at a Circupool or B+D 3 HP VS pump...