Confused over proper levels

If you decide to do borates (they are OPTIONAL), then 40-50 is your target. Read about borates in pool school before you go down that path though.

For Pool Calc, select the TroubleFreePool targets.

RobbieH said:
If you decide to do borates (they are OPTIONAL), then 40-50 is your target. Read about borates in pool school before you go down that path though.

For Pool Calc, select the TroubleFreePool targets.
Thanks, I assumed "troublefreepool" meant "pool" and not HotTub.

Are we talking hot tub? That wasn't mentioned here, and there's a separate section for hot tubs.

I'll tell you how much I know about spas, my house had one (a NICE one!) when we moved in, and I immediately gave it away to one of my friends.

To be clear, if this is a pool, you have a selection at the bottom of the pool calculator, it says "Suggested Goal Levels" in the yellow box. This is where you select TroubleFreePool.com"

EDIT: I just noticed you said "HT". I completely overlooked this. I suggest asking this in the Spas and Hot Tubs section, or moving this thread there.

Moved! MITS

The calculator is the greatest application developed. Ever since I joined (3 years ago) and began using this tool, I have basically had a trouble free hot tub with uncanny predictability during on-going/regular maintenance of the chemicals.
Barry

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
From the Pool School "Further Reading" section, read either Using Chlorine in a Spa or Using Bromine in a Spa depending on which system you plan to use. Chlorine works best for people who use the spa regularly, every day or two, since adding chlorine after a soak is not a big deal. If you use the spa less frequently, then chlorine can be more work since you need to add chlorine at least 2-3 times a week. Infrequent spa use with an ozonator is particularly bad with chlorine because ozone reacts with chlorine so you end up needing to use more and add it even more frequently. With bromine, you can use bromine tabs in a floating feeder to keep a background sanitizer level in between soaks and an ozonator will make more bromine from a bromide bank you initially create.

Thanks for all the reply's and guidance. I've been using the chlorine/diclor method with very good results. Once the spa is dialed in from a fresh fill it's nothing more than 4oz of bleach per night (480 gal HT), and we soak just about every night. I'll only test PH and FC once a week and run a full test maybe once a month. (K2006 test kit) :cheers:

I should note that the link to using chlorine in a spa refers to having an 80 ppm TA level, but usually that is too high and a lower TA level is better for greater pH stability, especially when there is more aeration. A TA of 50 ppm along with using 50 ppm Borates would be a better recommendation (and we should really change that post).

chem geek said:
I should note that the link to using chlorine in a spa refers to having an 80 ppm TA level, but usually that is too high and a lower TA level is better for greater pH stability, especially when there is more aeration. A TA of 50 ppm along with using 50 ppm Borates would be a better recommendation (and we should really change that post).
Thanks, I made the adjustments in Pool Calc and Simple pool apps. :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.