Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much is too much chlorine when using SWG?

1. Back To Top    #1

How much is too much chlorine when using SWG?

Hello, it has been about 1 and 1/2 months since we got our pool. I am trying to find out if the liner will get damaged if there is too much chlorine? I have about 4.0 to 5.0 TC. We are using a SWG.

Thanks
    16.6 x 32.6 Vinyl Liner Grecian, Aqua Rite Plus SWG, Hayward HeatPro 110K BTU, Pentair VRS, LED Laminar and Interfab Waterfall.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much is too much chlorine when using SWG?

It really depends on your CYA level. Here's some info:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ya_chart_shock

But you're in a good range.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

My CYA level is between 60 and 70. The reason why I am asking is b/c recently I noticed the floors are slippery. I am thinking algae forming? So i wanted to make sure that having a 4.0 and 5.0 for prelonged period will not cause harm on the liner. Whenever TC falls below 3.0 that is when I start noticing the slippery floor.
    16.6 x 32.6 Vinyl Liner Grecian, Aqua Rite Plus SWG, Hayward HeatPro 110K BTU, Pentair VRS, LED Laminar and Interfab Waterfall.

4. Back To Top    #4

With CYA around 60 to 70, FC should be at least 3, and 4 to 5 is fine. With CYA in that rage the liner is just fine with FC up to around 15-20 for long periods, and higher that for a couple of weeks at a time.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

With a CYA value of 65-70, you can bring your FC to shock value (look at the FC/CYA chart in Pool School) without fear of damaging your liner. I haven't looked it up but it is probably around 24ppm.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I will have to do the full test tomorrow to see what the FC is. I have been eye balling it using the r0600 solution. That is how I came up with the 5.0 level.