Did I add too much CYA? or will it solve itself?

kc_pool_account

Feb 28, 2024
Phoenix, Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
1710128425872.png
Hello!

New pool, and new owner.

The builder has yet to install the SWG (18 more days).

Unfortunately while using the Pool Math app I set it up as a SWG pool, which then led me to believe I needed more CYA. I added the amount recommend. I then realized that this is technically a liquid chlorine pool. So now the number is too high, Is this a problem that will resolve itself when the SWG is turned on?

Also I know my CH is low, will that increase when salt is added?

Or should I just not worry about this stuff until the SWG is installed?

I am concerned since my daughter was wading in the pool today and had an itchy rash on her legs this evening.

Sorry if the picture is overkill.

Salt does not affect the CH level. You need to add calcium chloride to increase the CH level.

You may want to double check your CH testing.
Starting at 200 eight days ago, dropping to 190 two days ago and then to 170 isn't normal for the PHX area.

Review the extended test kit directions

Using the 10ml water sample, the CH test results should be in increments of 25ppm.
It's possible that your CH of 200 to 170 could be within the testing variance - well 200 to 175 when using the 10ml sample is only a one drop difference.

In any case, retest CH. Continue adding drops (mixing well) until the last drop doesn't change the color intensity and then subtract that last drop (that doesn't make a change) from the total.

With a starting CH of 200 or higher, I wouldn't add any CH increaser as evaporation in the PHX area will easily push the CH up. Chances are the entire volume of your 12k pool will evaporate 1 to 1.5 times every year. Calcium doesn't evaporate with the water, so CH will always rise as you add replacement water (unless using softened water for make up water.

Fill out your signature with pool, pool equipment (manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.

Reactions: Mdragger88
You may want to double check your CH testing.
Starting at 200 eight days ago, dropping to 190 two days ago and then to 170 isn't normal for the PHX area.

Review the extended test kit directions

Using the 10ml water sample, the CH test results should be in increments of 25ppm.
It's possible that your CH of 200 to 170 could be within the testing variance - well 200 to 175 when using the 10ml sample is only a one drop difference.

In any case, retest CH. Continue adding drops (mixing well) until the last drop doesn't change the color intensity and then subtract that last drop (that doesn't make a change) from the total.

With a starting CH of 200 or higher, I wouldn't add any CH increaser as evaporation in the PHX area will easily push the CH up. Chances are the entire volume of your 12k pool will evaporate 1 to 1.5 times every year. Calcium doesn't evaporate with the water, so CH will always rise as you add replacement water (unless using softened water for make up water.

Fill out your signature with pool, pool equipment (manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
Thanks I've done the test again and I did not do it right the first time. I was hesitant to add more CH since I do know we get so much evaporation, so thank you for confirming that. I will also add those things to by signature

Also, as a general rule - when increasing Salt, CH and CYA - always do it in stages as this will prevent overshooting your mark
If PM app states to add 20lbs then only at 75% of that number (15lbs) - let it mix for a day then test again to see where you are at.
I would manage your FC based on your current CYA and when you turn on the SWCG it will be a tad high but suitable for your SWCG to manage FC level on a consistent basis.

Reactions: Newdude
I figured I should update what I ended up doing.

I pumped out a foot or perhaps more of water (I left the autofiller on to refill it while I drained). My CYA is all better now.