Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Main drain leak?

1. Back To Top    #1

Main drain leak?

Where is the mos likely place a main drain would be leaking and if it is in the plumbing section would it continue to leak with the valve shut off?
    Thanks
    14,500 gal pool
    Inground
    Plaster
    Intellichlor Salt Generator
    Water Fall

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Main drain leak?

Yes, it would still leak with the valve off. To test if it's the drain leaking, you need to dive down to the drain, remove the cover, and plug the opening. The leak could be anywhere between the drain and pump.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh great! I can swim but how do you stay down without scuba diving
    14,500 gal pool
    Inground
    Plaster
    Water Fall

4. Back To Top    #4

You need to just stick a rubber plug or something similar in the pipe. Then leave it and do a bucket test (see Pool School - Leak Detection) and see if the leaking has stopped.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!

5. Back To Top    #5

How may screws are on the cover
    14,500 gal pool
    Inground
    Plaster
    Water Fall

6. Back To Top    #6

No idea. You tell me! It may be attached with something other than screws, but it shouldn't be difficult to figure out how to get it off.

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok. With the 24 hour bucket test I lost 1/4" to evaporation and 1/2 inch from a leak. I had all equipment off and the main drain valve closed. Before this test, I was losing the same amount of water with pumps running and still having the main drain valve closed. Only the skimmers have been open. I have had all lines in the pool pressure tested as well as lights and no leaks were found. The main drain line has not been tested. Next I will go down and plug the main drain. If not in the line where around the drain would a leak be?
    14,500 gal pool
    Inground
    Plaster
    Water Fall

8. Back To Top    #8

The drains typically are a plastic cylinder about the size of a coffee can. You should be able to see exactly how it's all put together when you get the cover off. You should be able to use the dye test to see if the drain assembly itself is leaking.

9. Back To Top    #9

I pulled the cover off yesterday and plugged the pipe. I will see how it goes today.
    14,500 gal pool
    Inground
    Plaster
    Water Fall

10. Back To Top    #10

Looking forward to your results.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

11. Back To Top    #11

After 24 hours with main drain plug in I am still losing 1" of water 1/4" being evaporation. Very frustrating.
    What is the best "syringe" to get to start dye testing? It has to be a structural leak. As I said all lines were pressure tested a few months a go. Thanks for the help.
    14,500 gal pool
    Inground
    Plaster
    Water Fall

12. Back To Top    #12

Sorry for the delay , I haven't been able to log on for a couple days.

Any drop bottle would work - do you have an empty old bottle of test reagent that you could put food coloring in and use?
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)