Pool Liner: Leak, Wrinkles, Sagging, and Bulges!

JMiller3711

Apr 22, 2024
Kansas City
Hello TFP! I am a new pool owner and opened my pool this weekend. Good news and bad news. Good news is that the pump and filter are operating great! Bad news is that I discovered a few issues with my liner...

Leak...
There is a leak in the pool. I noticed the pool was low when we first moved in this February (2024), I filled the pool to an appropriate level (just below the skimmer line) and kept an eye on the water level afterwards. I placed a piece of painters tape to mark the water line earlier this month, and determined I definitely have a slow leak. I am currently filling the pool because I believe I need the pool filled and swimmable to find the location of the leak. I am concerned about where the leaking water is going, I don't want to damage my home.

Wrinkles...
I discovered multiple wrinkles in the liner on the bottom of the pool. Can these be fixed while the pool is full? Can I live with these or should I have them fixed somehow?

Sagging...
The liner is pulling away from the track in many areas. I believe I can fix this myself after some DIY research. But wanted to point it out since I am having other problems.

Bulges...
There are some odd bulges I have noticed on the sides, corners, and the oddest is on the bottom of the shallow end. Some side bulges which feel like foam underneath the pool liner, the most prominent one is underneath the skimmer. The corners bulge/balloon out a bit, and feel hard in some locations (again like foam) and just air (empty) in others. The most odd bulge is in the shallow end, there is a roughly 2 foot diameter bulge which feels very hard when I investigated with a pole and brush.

I figured my best option is to continue filling/cleaning the pool and get a professional out to help find the leak. The state of my liner seems poor, but the age of the liner is only 3 years old! Some questions:
1) Any ideas what could have caused my liner issues, and how to avoid further?
2) Do I need a new liner?
3) Is it a bad idea to drain a vinyl lined pool completely?

Attachments

• BottomBulge1_Captioned.png
    BottomBulge1_Captioned.png
    378.1 KB · Views: 6
  • BottomBulge2_Captioned.png
    BottomBulge2_Captioned.png
    420.3 KB · Views: 6
  • BulgingAroundSkimmer_Captioned.png
    BulgingAroundSkimmer_Captioned.png
    387.4 KB · Views: 7
  • CornerBulge_Captioned.png
    CornerBulge_Captioned.png
    429.6 KB · Views: 7
  • LinerWrinkles_Captioned.png
    LinerWrinkles_Captioned.png
    331.6 KB · Views: 7
  • SaggingLiner_Captioned.png
    SaggingLiner_Captioned.png
    354 KB · Views: 6
Water behind the liner will cause bulges & wrinkles.
They may or may not fully go away after the leak/water behind the liner is gone.

Putting the liner back in the track will prevent water from entering there. The warmer the liner the easier this is to do - you may need to install some liner lock to keep it in place.

Here’s the steps on finding your leak(s)

1) Any ideas what could have caused my liner issues, and how to avoid further?
The leaks/water behind it
2) Do I need a new liner?
Maybe but unlikely if you don’t see some obvious gash. More likely just needs patching & possibly some gaskets if the returns or skimmer is where your leaks are.
3) Is it a bad idea to drain a vinyl lined pool completely?
Yes - you should never leave less than 12-18” of water in the shallow end.

Reactions: Newdude
Additional notes*
I would focus leak detection efforts on the areas where the most imperfections are as that is likely the location of the leaks.
Ex- the crater on the floor, the area below the skimmer.
Getting the water clear & swimmable will be beneficial in this for you & will be required for someone you hire.
Follow the
SLAM Process to clear your pool.

Reactions: Newdude