Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How far is too far for hard plumbing?

1. Back To Top    #1

How far is too far for hard plumbing?

I want to hard pipe my AGP this year and was wondering, based on my specs for my pool and equipment, what is too far to place the pump/filter from the pool itself?
    24' AGP
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump
    Hayward Pro Series S180T 150lb sand filter
    Intex 54601EG Krystal Clear SWG
    Diver Dave pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How far is too far for hard plumbing?

100'± running 2" piping.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

...and while I understand WHAT the valves do in plumbing, why do we use them with a basic AGP pump/filter setup? Where should you place them and why?
    24' AGP
    Diver Dave pool cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

If you don't use valves, if you ever have to work on the equipment you'll have to plug the skimmer and return(s) in order to open or remove the equipment because in most AGP installations the equipment is below the waterline. Even opening the pump strainer basket requires plugging the lines if valves aren't used.

I would place the valves near the skimmer and return but most people place them near the pad. Convenience is probably the driving factor as far as installing them and their location.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

That makes sense about the skimmer basket. What happens if you have the valve turned off right after the skimmer and you need to work on the pump basket, like to remove the debris and you don't turn off the pump?

Also, debating I should use unions in the installation. I will be going right into the ground from the return and skimmer, over about 15 feet to the equipment.
    24' AGP
    Diver Dave pool cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

You'll starve the pump of water, but the same thing could happen if you have to plug the skimmer to work on it. Are you thinking you'll forget to turn off the pump? You won't do it many times!

I would definitely recommend unions near the equipment. Of course you can not install them until you have to remove a piece of equipment.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

You should turn off the pump before you open the basket. Dave is correct, if you manage to get the basket open with the pump on your pump will protest and you will not do this too often. To more specifically answer your question if you close the valve at the skimmer and then open the basket your basket will overflow until the water in the pipe is at the same level as it is in the basket.
    Larry in Texas

Above ground 7,700 gallons, 19 inch sand filter ( 2 sq. ft.), Liquidator, and a WaterWay Hi-Flo Pump with an A.O. Smith 1 hp SF 1.0 motor.

8. Back To Top    #8

Another good spot for valves is after the solar panels, if you have them. Its a PITA if you have to work on their plumbing and they drain out.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

9. Back To Top    #9

Since you're in WV also keep in mind how you will winterize the plumbing. 15' underground will require some winterization, either blowing out the lines or filling them with RV antifreeze.
    24' Round Doughboy AG.
    Usually filled with 3 kids, the wife, and occasionally the dog.

10. Back To Top    #10

I have already thought about blowing out the lines and have seen it referred to many times on this forum. How is this done exactly?
    24' AGP
    Diver Dave pool cleaner

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm not sure, which I why I mention it. I would probably try to rig a threaded fitting somewhere in the line where I could mount a schrader valve and pressure gauge to blow things out each fall.

I plan to hard plumb mine next year, but will likely use unions so I can disconnect everything and store indoors in the winter.

Or I might try to incorporate something like this to hook up my compressor:

http://tweetys.com/blow-out-plug-with-s ... valve.aspx
    24' Round Doughboy AG.
    Usually filled with 3 kids, the wife, and occasionally the dog.