Planning plumbing for my above ground pool

msi1337

Apr 11, 2020
Pennsylvania
Please forgive my crude drawing. I am planning to run schedule 40 pvc for my pool soon. I have a 21' Above ground pool that is new. The only items I am hooking to it are: 1HP Hayward Matrix Pump, 120Sq Ft Hayward Cartridge filter, and Circupool RJ30+ salt water system. I assume I will use the Matrix with the discharge horizontal to match the horizontal inlet of the cartridge filter. How are these connected, just threaded fittings with pipe in between? Lastly, should I run 2" Sch40 PVC and just use 1.5" to 2" converters for anything that isn't natively 2"?

Thank you for any help you can provide.20240421_125650.jpg

The RJ 30 will come with unions on either side of it. These will be slip connections to attach to 2” PVC pipe. No need for the union on downstream side of heater
The flow switch will be slip type of connection as well.
Good idea to put a union on either side of the pump. Makes repairs or temporary removal easier.

Suggest it all be laid out and dry fitted before any glueing to ensure you have the right size connections and threads where applicable match.

When dry fitting, remember that the fittings don't go together as deep as they will when gluing them up.

Get good ball valves. Not ones from the big box store. Those tend to wear out and/or break very quickly and are not rebuildable. Leading to having to cut them out and then replumb the system, making it look like a mess. You can use really expensive ones, like Jandy, from the pool supply. However, these are the ones I am using, and I am quite happy with them

Amazon.com

When it comes to unions, I try not to use them. I find they never seem to go together well for me. I take my filter and pump off for the winter, so I am using them frequently. I went with CamLock fittings instead, and I really like them.

Also,

I would not put the ball valves where you did, in the vertical pipe. When you go to turn the ball valve, you are going to be putting a lateral force on the skimmer basket. I would put the ball valves in the horizontal run on the ground. I also put my horizontal runs on supports (6x6, 4x4, or 4x6 blocks of timbers - I have a lot of cut offs laying around) and use pipe clamps to hold them to the timbers. It keeps my pipe runs out of the dirt, and it also provides a support when turning a valve (I put the valves between two such supports).

Reactions: bobloblaw42
thank you phonedave! How do camlocks work? Also, could you send me a picture of your setup?

The two parts slide together, and then you lock them in place by engaging the camlock on the side. For added security you can put the hairpin through the hole in the cam, so it cannot accidently pop open

This is my old setup. I have a new pool and I put the skimmer in a totally different spot, so will be replumbing everything shortly. The camlocks are the black things in the pipe run. You can also see the valves I recommended.

After.jpg