Jul 4, 2021
Midwest
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey all, happy spring!

I am preparing to open my pool (13K gallon, 24' round, Hayward pump, sand filter), and want to convert to hard plumbing this season. I think opening is the time to do it.

Two questions:

1. What are the recommended fittings to use so that everything can be disconnected easily for winterizing? Can they usually be found in hardware stores, or are they online only type items?

2. Is it worth keeping my chlorinator? I generally don't use it, except sometimes I'll turn it on a small amount when I'm away for awhile. I've had issues with it leaking, which is why I'm debating getting rid of it.

Any other tips/tricks when converting to hard plumbing? I'll attach a pic of the current setup, for reference.

Attachments

• PXL_20211018_134436020.jpg
    PXL_20211018_134436020.jpg
    525.2 KB · Views: 9
Use a floater for tablets if you must put them in your pool. Get rid of the inline chlorinator.

HD has schedule 40 unions...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
I used the unions with a valve in them for at the returns & under the skimmer. Then just a plain one between the pump & filter.
I used flex pvc between the pump & filter due to the location. Ymmv.
You want unions in places that make it easy to take the plumbing apart for winterizing & future replacement/maintenance of equipment without having to cut & replace fittings each time.
I only use the valves at the returns at opening & closing usually but they are also handy for moderating a pressure side cleaner or my fountain. I have two returns so closing 1 some doesn’t put stress on my pump.
The valve under the skimmer gets used every time I clean the pump basket to prevent getting soaked & losing alot of water.
The valves allow me to isolate the pool from the plumbing/equipment very quickly without having to take anything apart.