3 y/o Pentair Whisperflo Pump Corrosion??

LizT

Feb 25, 2020
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi - I’m trying to determine if this can be repaired or if I should replace?

Original problem: humming when pump comes on.

Checked capacitor, it’s fine.
Diffuser not clogged.
Impeller seems to be stopping and not rotating completely?

Removed motor from seal plate and there seems to be a lot of corrosion on the bottom? See photo.

The thought is that it’s unlevel not allowing the impeller to rotate properly?

Any thoughts on on how to repair, or possibly level?

Or is it be to replace?

Attachments

• 79521B55-5D2C-44CF-9379-B319CAB34B49.jpeg
    79521B55-5D2C-44CF-9379-B319CAB34B49.jpeg
    371.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 48BEEA20-1450-4F5B-9A1B-EF0AC202E554.jpeg
    48BEEA20-1450-4F5B-9A1B-EF0AC202E554.jpeg
    525.6 KB · Views: 22
  • B6907147-518B-40BB-8536-B41527DC2B0B.jpeg
    B6907147-518B-40BB-8536-B41527DC2B0B.jpeg
    527.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 687403AA-7578-4A26-B9F8-F2BC788981DB.jpeg
    687403AA-7578-4A26-B9F8-F2BC788981DB.jpeg
    467.7 KB · Views: 23
The grommets are what the motor bolts screw into to hold the motor to the seal plate.

Sometimes the grommets come loose, which makes the motor pull back and the impeller will rub on the seal plate.

If the motor is ok, you can replace the seal plate.

1703115878261.png

Hi - I’m trying to determine if this can be repaired or if I should replace?

Original problem: humming when pump comes on.

Checked capacitor, it’s fine.
Diffuser not clogged.
Impeller seems to be stopping and not rotating completely?

Removed motor from seal plate and there seems to be a lot of corrosion on the bottom? See photo.

The thought is that it’s unlevel not allowing the impeller to rotate properly?

Any thoughts on on how to repair, or possibly level?

Or is it be to replace?
Based on your photo one of the insets in the pump seal plate is broken, as corrosion due to a leak has occurred. That probably caused the plate to be crooked and caused the impeller to drag and stop. A new seal plate, seal, and O ring would be in order. And a new impeller and new bolts

Reactions: LizT
Most likely, you will need a seal plate, impeller, seal etc.

I would just get a new IntelliFlo variable speed pump and save money on electricity.
This grommet pulled out of the seal plate.

View attachment 545375
The grommets are what the motor bolts screw into to hold the motor to the seal plate.

Sometimes the grommets come loose, which makes the motor pull back and the impeller will rub on the seal plate.

View attachment 545377

Thanks for sharing this thred. Here’s a couple of photos of the seal plate. I’m not sure where the leak was from never saw anything leaking, but that would probably be my guess. I’m not sure about the grounding wires mentioned in the other thred. This was the original motor installed by the pool company when built, so I’m assuming it would have been grounded correctly. Probably will just replace with VS pump. As I’m sure it will continue to have problems. Thank you for your quick responses and advice!

Attachments

• IMG_1947.jpeg
    IMG_1947.jpeg
    408.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1946.jpeg
    IMG_1946.jpeg
    398.9 KB · Views: 8
Most likely, you will need a seal plate, impeller, seal etc.

I would just get a new IntelliFlo variable speed pump and save money on electricity.
This grommet pulled out of the seal plate.

View attachment 545375

View attachment 545377

Thanks for sharing this thred. Here’s a couple of photos of the seal plate. I’m not sure where the leak was from never saw anything leaking, but that would probably be my guess. I’m not sure about the grounding wires mentioned in the other thred. This was the original motor installed by the pool company when built, so I’m assuming it would have been grounded correctly. Probably will just replace with VS pump. As I’m sure it will continue to have problems. Thank you for your quick responses and advice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This looks and sounds exactly like my own Whisperflow failure a couple of years ago. The lock-up and humming problem happens because the erosion and/or breakage at the mount points results in the motor shaft so far out of alignment that the impeller drags in the housing.

I replaced my seal plate and seal, but the impeller was still locked due to erosion of the motor mounting lugs. I was able to get it running fine by stacking washers and shim material under the bad lugs until the impeller was running true again. This was temporary repair to allow time to get a new VS pump. (Early COVID-time, so turnaround was weeks.)

Just passing this along because you might want to try the same hack while waiting for a new pump. I think the seal plate was about $40 with a seal pre-installed. Amazingly a 2-day turnaround on delivery though I had to try several sources.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.