Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Softner and alkalenity

1. Back To Top    #1

Water Softner and alkalenity

My household water has a CH of 250 and a TA of 280. Will a water softner reduce one or both of these numbers?
    Larry in Texas

Above ground 7,700 gallons, 19 inch sand filter ( 2 sq. ft.), Liquidator, and a WaterWay Hi-Flo Pump with an A.O. Smith 1 hp SF 1.0 motor.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Water Softner and alkalenity

It will essentially eliminate the CH.

It seems to me that it would not have any affect on TA but I don't know for sure.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

A water softener (ion exchange resin) should not change the TA.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys. I knew you would know the answer. Another question: other than cost what are the advantages and disadvantages of using potassium versus salt in a water softner?
    Larry in Texas

Above ground 7,700 gallons, 19 inch sand filter ( 2 sq. ft.), Liquidator, and a WaterWay Hi-Flo Pump with an A.O. Smith 1 hp SF 1.0 motor.

5. Back To Top    #5

As far as I know, the only advantages to using potassium are:

1. That it will eliminate the (very slight) salty taste your water may have.
    2. If your discharge line drains into your yard, over time salt accumulation may kill anything growing in that area - but usually that only happens when you're using too much salt for each regen cycle. If it drains into the sewer system, no problem.

Our discharge comes out salty, but it's been draining into the same part of the yard for over 25 years, and the grass there is alive and well. I really think it's a matter of personal preference.
    John

24' round Vogue AGP 12,000 gal. Flotec AT251001-01 1HP pump, Hayward S310T2 sand filter, Aquarite SWG T-15
    TF-100 (found at TF Test Kits) with Speedstir and Samplesizer

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks
    Larry in Texas