water feature stains

Spiccolli

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2012
Gold Canyon, AZ
Not a newbie - lifetime member due to all the great advice here.

So, long story short - major pool remodel and added a grotto, waterfall, and waterslide -it's awesome.

Problem is that it has white stains all over - i'll attach a pic.
Chemistry from TF-100 Day 1:
FC: 4
CC: 0
PH: 7.6
TA: 90
CH: 250
CYA: ~15 - they just opened it and it was granular
Temp: 76
CSI says -.19

All from Pool Math app

Remodeler doesn't know what the deal is and says it is my chemistry which I know it is not.
My kit is a bit old, but I ordered a new one for the new pool :).

So I did what any rational person would do and took water to pool store /sarcasm
I did this just for Giggles and paper trail for remodeler - They used their accublue computer test thing.
FWIW, this particular Leslies actually has good people - they don't try to pool store me.

Pool Store Day 2 numbers:
FC: 8 - I had added a bit of chlorine since day 1
TC: 8
PH - 7.7 - put in recommended acid from pool math right after this test
TA: 111
CH: 130 - yep, a bit low, but won't cause scaling, do I believe them or TF100?
CYA: 10 - same reason as above
Iron: 0 - don't really care
Copper: .2 - don't really care
TDS: 700 - don't really care

Any thoughts on what might cause such significant white staining so so quickly (literally overnight)?

Truly, thank you anyone with any help!!!! We love TFP!!

20240423_123209.jpg

I know you all love pics, and so do I, so here is "Fred" as in "Flintstone" running :) You can see the white streaks on the left.

20240419_103045.jpg

Reactions: Newdude
When did you last fill the pool with fresh water? Do you use softened water for make up water?
Your pool water CH is low for Arizona pools. Most tap water starts at about 250 CH or higher.

I suspect you have evaporite scale. IE, if water evaporates, the calcium is left behind. One of the hazards of water features in our desert.

Reactions: Newdude
When did you last fill the pool with fresh water? Do you use softened water for make up water?
Your pool water CH is low for Arizona pools. Most tap water starts at about 250 CH or higher.

I suspect you have evaporite scale. IE, if water evaporates, the calcium is left behind. One of the hazards of water features in our desert.
We do have a soft water system to all but the front bib. This is the ONLY bib used to fill the pool from initial fill after the remodel a few days ago - was told by the remodeler not to use soft and we did not. They installed the filler yesterday, and it is on soft and they said that was fine. I don't ride that train and would fill from the front for a few weeks as I watch it, but I also follow their directions exactly because they did the work and the warranty.

Thanks for the reply @mknauss - how do i clean it and prevent it in the future without damaging the feature at all??

Ok so fresh fill. Use the softened water for make up.
I suspect the feature is concrete, right? You can try CLR. Do not use muriatic as it will dissolve the concrete.

Only way to prevent is to not get water on the concrete feature.

Ok so fresh fill. Use the softened water for make up.
I suspect the feature is concrete, right? You can try CLR. Do not use muriatic as it will dissolve the concrete.

Only way to prevent is to not get water on the concrete feature.
Thanks @mknauss - I'm still working with the remodeler as we have not finished paying. Tossed this Q out to the TFP community for ideas. I'll bring this up with them and see what they say. I just can't believe it would happen this bad after just a couple of days. Looks like I'm going to be scrubbing more than relaxing :(

btw, feature is hand-made concreate and hand-spray painted with pump canisters! it took 2 guys 2 weeks at over 10 hour days. Fred is a one-of-a-kind and I need to make sure he looks great for the ladies for years ;)