Awaiting my TFT test kit, so used another 5 way brand kit— help!

caitym

Apr 10, 2024
Auburn, Ca
I have a 14,500 gallon fiberglass that we used a safety cover on for the first time. I just removed it and the water is not warm enough for the SWG. I bought the TFT pro test kit as suggested here, but it hasn’t been delivered. I’m trying to improvise, so I used another 5 way test kit. Here’s my results—
PH- 7.2
TA- 70
Chlorine- .5
Calcium Hardness- 280
CYA- 10

I’m new to taking care of my pool and don’t want to screw up. I’ve read the articles here, too. Based on these results what would you do first?

Correct. They are long term issues. The 5ppm daily add of FC will keep you ok in the short term.

Thank you so much! I just added liquid chlorine. Should I not do anything about the low hardness or cya?
Look up your recommended levels here:

Assuming the test results are accurate, the calcium hardness is within TFP's recommended range.

I suspect the CYA result is from the Pool Store. Most test kits I'm aware of can't even record a result of 10 ppm. There is no urgency in increasing CYA to to the recommended range. If you trust the pool store result and find later it's inaccurate, the only way to remove excess CYA is by draining it. This is why we urge pool owners to get results from a reliable kit before they mess up their pools.

I know it's tough, but be patient and wait for the kit. Take the time to read through pool school and browse threads while waiting for the kit.