2 new's. New Jersey, new pool owner

Yeh, I can see the white stuff - called in some veterans to look as well.

First up, please show your numbers like this:

FC 7
CC 0.5
pH 7.4
TA 90
CH 80
CYA 50

CYA could go up, but I think we should give it the full week first. If you put enough in based on pool math, let's assume it's 60 right now. So FC bare minimum is 3 and target is 5.

The 4 PPM drop is a bit alarming - was it super sunny, hot, did you swim a lot? - if not, then do another OCLT tonight. Are there any organics left in the bottom of the pool? In the skimmer baskets? In the pump basket? Have you backwashed all the grunge from the SLAM out of the filter? These sorts of things can add to the FC demand.

The IC40 SWG in 33,000 gallons needs to run around 12 hours at 100% to deliver 2.5 PPM per day, which is a typical season-long average demand in a clean pool.

I hope that's helpful. Your water is certainly looking good, and we'll see what the experts think about re: the white stuff.

Could that white stuff have come from the filter? The backwashing sequence for me is...
1. shut off pump
2. move multi-port valve to BACKWASH
3. start pump, run til sight tube is clear - for me that's 1.5-2 minutes
4. stop pump
5. move multi-port valve to RINSE
6. start pump, run til sight tube is well clear - for me 2 minutes
7. stop pump
8. move multi-port valve to FILTER
9. wait 2 or 3 minutes, then set pump back to normal operating cycle(s)

Water balance: Your SWG will start raising pH, especially after you turn it up, so we can leave that alone. Everything else is within guidelines, save the CYA that we're waiting on.

TA is a bit high and will cause faster pH rise than optimum. Lots of swimming and aeration, with normal acid additions will cause it to come down over time. You can drive it down by following the procedure in Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Your water is a bit aggressive, from low CH in your case. If your water was running over stone or grout, we'd raise the CH right away, but for vinyl it's OK. If you don't already have it, get your heater manual online. It will have some water specs in it, and good chance they'd like you to have more CH if that gets brought online later. Calcium chloride is cheap as chips. Don't buy Calcium Hardness Increaser at the pool store. If you search the forum, you can learn a good brand of road de-icer in your area, which is handy around the house sometimes anyway. You may already have some :). If, for example, your heater spec was 200 PPM calcium hardness, you would use PoolMath to find out you need about 36 pounds of calcium chloride or 48 lbs of calcium chloride dihydrate.

I hope you get a chance to BOMB it soon! (Aus for cannonball)

Regarding the white stuff... scoop it off with your pole and net and/or coax it into your skimmers. I suspect you (or your pump) has already done that anyway! As a general rule, get everything out that doesn't belong in order to ascend to Trouble Free Pool Nirvana, haha.

Yesterday was very sunny and about 88 degrees. The cya measured between 40 and 50 ppm and there were no swimmers. There is still dirt in the corners on the bittom, I haven't mastered the vacuuming yet, and I found another dead mouse in the skimmer when I got home. I did not backwash, but I will this morning when I get some measurements. I will readjust my timer for 12 hours and % to continue monitoring. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

That is the same procedure I use bit I forgot to do it after the slam. I will in an hour.

That white stuff may be something organic as in seed pods or pollen of some sort. LOTS of stuff growing right now up there. Our big grow has about ended here. I bet you are just starting yours. We will keep an eye on it for sure.

Jet has you covered with your levels! (Thanks John!)

Kim:cat:

This morning's results
FC 7ppm
Cc .5 ppm

I readjusted my timer to come on when I get up in the morning and go off 5 hours later just want to verify that it's actually coming on. And I have an overnight hour set for about 6 hours. I didn't see the white stuff this morning I guess because the filter ran yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I searched a bunch of old threads and it looks like the white stuff is either dissolved organics or pollen. Both should go away with filtering/skimming and time, so I think you are good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I live in central NJ and get that white stuff as well. Pretty sure it's a type of pollen. I put skimmer socks over the skimmer baskets and it helps catch everything. This time of year I've been taking out the skimmer socks DAILY to hose off the caked on pollen. Skimmer socks are a few bucks for a multi-pack at the pool store (got mine at Seasonal World) and are like a panty hose that fits over the basket. I know others have made cheaper versions on their own. Since pollen season doesn't last very long, one per basket lasts the season and I pitch it after June or so.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll look for the socks or makes some.
I live in central NJ and get that white stuff as well. Pretty sure it's a type of pollen. I put skimmer socks over the skimmer baskets and it helps catch everything. This time of year I've been taking out the skimmer socks DAILY to hose off the caked on pollen. Skimmer socks are a few bucks for a multi-pack at the pool store (got mine at Seasonal World) and are like a panty hose that fits over the basket. I know others have made cheaper versions on their own. Since pollen season doesn't last very long, one per basket lasts the season and I pitch it after June or so.

Yesterday was very sunny and about 88 degrees. The cya measured between 40 and 50 ppm and there were no swimmers. There is still dirt in the corners on the bittom, I haven't mastered the vacuuming yet, and I found another dead mouse in the skimmer when I got home. I did not backwash, but I will this morning when I get some measurements. I will readjust my timer for 12 hours and % to continue monitoring. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

That is the same procedure I use bit I forgot to do it after the slam. I will in an hour.

Only need to backwash the filter when the pressure rises 25% over clean pressure.

Wow, 88 in NJ and 60-something in TX. Booo

My water level.. fill from the well or pray for rain??? Also, any idea what this is? Looks like a salamander to me.
3c2c01e2d14c083cac0269e9afbeef8e.jpg
521aa5553c7e5b7390efd696a291d2a6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Looks like you have a good bit before the level gets to the bottom of the skimmer. Up to you based on rain forecasts, etc. If your pump is on a timer you don't want it to go dry :)

That water is looking nice! Did you know that becoming a TFP supporter is a modest one-time donation that gets you a couple perqs and a tax deduction? See the link in my signature for more information. Member support keeps the lights on, so thanks for considering it :)

Skimmer looks like very close to halfway. Refraction makes the in-water distance look smaller, but based on the screw spacing, it looks like 1/2. You might be able to find a stainless screw to replace the rusty one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.