2 new's. New Jersey, new pool owner

A lot of us bump it up a little if we are having guests over, not to slam but just a little over target. It's not necessary, but it can be working on bather load before they even leave and you don't end up below minimum.

You'll have to order the refills right away. TFTestKits will ship them to you very quickly.
TFTestkits.net

- - - Updated - - -

In the meantime, add the same amount you added last night to go from 11-12 times 3. I think you're near the end of the SLAM, and that should cover daily burn-off. It's about the best option I can think of. Others may have some better ideas.

Okay had to drive about 22 miles out of my way but I found a 60 mL bottle so I can continue testing soon as I get home I'm going to test see where the levels are and if necessary and I agree I think this lamb might be over by tomorrow morning

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You could buy a comparator style of test kit and some distilled water, and do a dilution based test for the next couple of days. If it has a line at 3 PPM FC, for example...
Use the Taylor test tube to measure 44 ml of pool water. Pour that into a clean container, Fill to the exact same height (another 44 ml) with distilled water and pour into container. Repeat twice so that you have 176 ml of diluted pool water. Mix and then use that for your sample for the commonly available test kit. Try to keep your pool water near the 3 PPM FC line, which is actually 12 PPM FC in the pool due to the dilution.

- - - Updated - - -

Haha, that's great. Might be a good night for lamb. Glad you could get the proper testing supplies and sorry to hear the distance. Did you do an OCLT last night?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes the oct test yielded a 1ppm difference. Now that I got the reagent, I'll do it again tonight. The pool is clear to the bottom , the CC has been .5 and as long as there's a 1ppm difference or less in my FC tomorrow morning I think It will be Miller time. Next step I assume is allowing the FC to drop to 1-4 ppm and balance to cya to about 40 ppm. Then TA, CA I guess. How does one go about allowing the FC to drop?

Allowing the FC to drop is the easiest thing of all!! Just wait. :) Miller Time definitely comes to mind

Your numbers are a bit off. For current conditions at CYA 30 and the SWG not running, use 2.5 bare minimum and target 3.5/4 PPM FC.

Next step is to adjust your pH when FC falls below 10.

Once SWG is running, raise your CYA to 60 for now. The range will be 70 to 80, but best to go there gradually. FC at CYA 60, with SWG running, will be 3 bare minimum and likely a 5 target, but that will depend on the amount of attention you want to apply to keeping it dialed in.

Phillips head screws on the bottom drain and dirt are all i can see in the deep end :D.. The SLAM is over. FC 11ppm and CC didnt turn pink so I guess its less than .5. Can't wait to get home from work today and just look in the deep end. Thanks to everybody that helped along the way, I have a sense of confidence about this pool ownership thing. I'll still need some guidance as I get the other levels in balance and try to see if I can get the heater working. Water temp is 74 degrees at 6:25 am so I can't complain too much. Have a great day.

Update. Fc 7ppm, cc .5, pH 7.4, ta 90ppm, ch 80ppm, cya 40-50 ppm salt 3600. Hooked up the salt water generator today in preparation for getting everything balanced. I'm a little concerned that the FC dropped from 11 PPM this morning to 7 PPM now. I expected it to go down possibly not that much though. what are your thoughts? Typical or not typical? I've got the generator set to 20% anticipating further drop in the FC overnight into tomorrow afternoon when I test in the morning and tomorrow afternoon I'll get a better idea of how much to increase the output of the swg. I assume I'm going to have to bring the cya up a bit

I began the process of setting the timer to run my pump last evening must have done something wrong it doesn't appear as though the filter ran all night or all day today. When I got home from work this afternoon I noticed what appeared to be a white substance kind of floating on top of the water is that what the algae looks like? Or what could that have been? it almost looked like the residue of something. I think I have the time I figured out now I've said it to run about 4 hours in the afternoon and 4 hours in the overnight hours tomorrow I'll test see what the FC level is and make some adjustments

If you zoom in on this pic you can see the white substance
630387ee7ec95a5b7e9e69e51e677ea6.jpg

No, that is not what dead algae looks like. Dead algae looks more like sand and sinks to the bottom. Is this stuff flaky like a calcium crystal? Or organic? Squishy, slimy? Foamy, bubbly?

3 ppm FC drop is a little high, but not terrible. Yes, CYA will need to go up after the SLAM. Add your state to your location so we can make a CYA recommendation based on your climate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.