2 new's. New Jersey, new pool owner

With all the help I've received from you all being a supporter is the least I could do. The skimmers slightly less than halfway . I'm adding water now I'm just afraid it's going to throw up all the progress I've made. I assumed all those screws were already stainless steel but didn't understand why they would be rusting.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This morning's results after having added some water yesterday to bring the level up
FC 5.5
CC .5
CA 150
TA 100
pH 7.4
Salt 3200

Salt was a bit low so I added a 40 lb bag. Pool Math called for 55 lbs. Will check again in 24 hrs. I've got the timer set for 5am- 10am and 7pm-midnight and I'm at 40% on the swg. Should I wait and test for a couple of days to see if my FC stays around 5? Or should I just start pumping up the percent on the swg in anticipation of the FC dropping?
Also, is there anything else that needs some attention according to my numbers?

The general idea is to get the FC to the target, and then hold it within a range around the target using the SWG. Your target is 5 so we're there, that's great.

For your pool at 33,000 gals, with 10 hrs at 40%, you'll be replacing a bit under 1 PPM FC per day, vs. an expected sunny day drop of 2-3 PPM FC. If it were me, I'd set it at 100% for now, see how it goes, and ease it back if need be.

I like running it when there's sun on the pool, so the level is kept up, unless there's other reasons not to do so.

That CC seems stubborn at 0.5 and normally you can expect 0 other than maybe right after a bunch of kids have been in the pool. Could be because of the junk on the bottom if that's still there. Cleaner the better.

CA 150 <--- is that CH?

Overall, it seems to be going really well. Hope you've bombed it by now!

It does make more sense to get the FC level in range and hold it there with the swg, I was told by our pool inspector to run it at a lower % for a longer time period. I will test both methods to see which works best for this pool. There is still a tiny bit of junk in the pool which I guess contributes to the CC .5. I've been using the Polaris to try to clean it up since I didn't have good luck with the traditional vacuum method.
I haven't been in yet but hopefully on Saturday I will. I just want to make sure everything is right first.
The general idea is to get the FC to the target, and then hold it within a range around the target using the SWG. Your target is 5 so we're there, that's great.

For your pool at 33,000 gals, with 10 hrs at 40%, you'll be replacing a bit under 1 PPM FC per day, vs. an expected sunny day drop of 2-3 PPM FC. If it were me, I'd set it at 100% for now, see how it goes, and ease it back if need be.

I like running it when there's sun on the pool, so the level is kept up, unless there's other reasons not to do so.

That CC seems stubborn at 0.5 and normally you can expect 0 other than maybe right after a bunch of kids have been in the pool. Could be because of the junk on the bottom if that's still there. Cleaner the better.

CA 150 <--- is that CH?

Overall, it seems to be going really well. Hope you've bombed it by now!

It does make more sense to get the FC level in range and hold it there with the swg, I was told by our pool inspector to run it at a lower % for a longer time period. I will test both methods to see which works best for this pool. There is still a tiny bit of junk in the pool which I guess contributes to the CC .5. I've been using the Polaris to try to clean it up since I didn't have good luck with the traditional vacuum method.
I haven't been in yet but hopefully on Saturday I will. I just want to make sure everything is right first.
After a busy couple of days of work and yard work, I finally got a chance to get in yesterday. It was a mild day, mid 80's and the water temp is holding at 74, so it was a touch chilly at first. Thanks to all the help I received from the forum, my green monster has turned into a sparkling clear source of pleasure. I've been monitoring my water level and decided to add some more I must have a leak or a cracked skimmer I don't think I would have lost as much as I did to evaporation. After the rain this evening I'll have to recheck the levels and add as needed according to pool calculator. And I became a supporter:party:
354ec1afb95b2e0969d45dcca16aabbb.jpg

Hahaha, "Are we there yet?" That's a great picture to see. And as pooldv says, no need to miss any (warm enough) swim days anymore!!

- - - Updated - - -

And thanks for helping keep the lights on at TFP!!

Don't know if I'm starting to get the hang of this pool ownership thing or if I'm just lucking out. but I do know I probably would have spent a whole lot of money at the pool store is it wasn't for the advice I got from tfp.
FC 6PPM
CC 0PPM
PH 7.6
TA 100 PPM
CH 175PPM
CYA 50 PPM (trying to get it up to 70)
Salt 3400
Keeping a log of my daily FC check and weekly check of other parameters has helped me begin to see the pattern for this pool. We did have rain last evening and I noticed the FC dropped from 6.5 to 6 PPM and the pH is slightly elevated. But things are looking good hopefully I'll get into it again soon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good approach, and glad to hear it's working out well. Last reading for CH was 150, so pretty sure that 15 is a typo, and all good for now. I went quite slow on raising my CYA just to avoid over-shooting. Good to see pH in range now.

Don't know if I'm starting to get the hang of this pool ownership thing or if I'm just lucking out. but I do know I probably would have spent a whole lot of money at the pool store is it wasn't for the advice I got from tfp.
FC 6PPM
CC 0PPM
PH 7.6
TA 100 PPM
CH 175PPM
CYA 50 PPM (trying to get it up to 70)
Salt 3400
Keeping a log of my daily FC check and weekly check of other parameters has helped me begin to see the pattern for this pool. We did have rain last evening and I noticed the FC dropped from 6.5 to 6 PPM and the pH is slightly elevated. But things are looking good hopefully I'll get into it again soon.

This post does my heart good! Look at you posting numbers and KNOWING what they mean and what to do with them! AWESOME!

The log is such a great tool in learning your pool and what it likes and needs in different events.

Have the kids been in?

Kim:cat:

This post does my heart good! Look at you posting numbers and KNOWING what they mean and what to do with them! AWESOME!

The log is such a great tool in learning your pool and what it likes and needs in different events.

Have the kids been in?

Kim:cat:
Well thank you. I does my wallet good following the tfp advice rather than the fool store.

I'm late to the party, that is definitely pollen. Should be abating soon if not already. Your pool will be "clean" for exactly 1 second after you put the vacuum or leaf net away! Don't stress. Looking great.

Had my first pool party in honor of father's day, yesterday. Wasn't sure what to expect as far as fc loss. I added bleach the day before to bring the level up from 4 to 7 and tested again this morning and and got fc 5.5. I was very pleased but unsure if that is a typical drop or if I should expect it to drop even more as the day goes on and the chlorine does its job. I got so many compliments on the clarity of the water(big thanks to TFP) and tried to convince a friend, with a green pool, to SLAM it.

That's great feedback :) and good to hear your pool performed for the party!

Very hard to predict FC loss because of so many possible factors, but yours doesn't sound out of line. As long as I treat the minimum as a true bare minimum - never go below it - kind of minimum, it works out just fine for me.

That's great feedback :) and good to hear your pool performed for the party!

Very hard to predict FC loss because of so many possible factors, but yours doesn't sound out of line. As long as I treat the minimum as a true bare minimum - never go below it - kind of minimum, it works out just fine for me.
I kinda figured it was dependent on many factors. Just was making sure the loss wasn't out of the ordinary for someone new to this whole pool thing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.