Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Cl -0
Ph-7.5
Ak- 70
Ca- 90
Cya -< 30
Latham Olympia 16
15,000 gallons
I'm not sure I've posted these in the right place .

You need chlorine. ASAP. Follow the FC/CYA Levels
When you say less than 30 ppm, does the test cloud at all? How are you going to chlorinate this pool? Please fill out your signature.
You need a minimum of 30 ppm CYA now, likely going to 50 ppm in the next month or so.
What is a Latham Olympia? Plaster, vinyl, fiberglass?? Again, please fill out your signature.

I'm a complete newbie, I apologize I thought I had already entered all the pool information. No clouding on the test.
We were going to use chlorine tabs but after reading through pool school it sounds like liquid chlorine will be best ?
(Latham is just the pool's manufacturer )

For the stabilizer is the a preferred brand ?
Do I add the stabilizer and chlorine on the same day ? Then when do I test next?

We were going to use chlorine tabs but after reading through pool school it sounds like liquid chlorine will be best ?
For the stabilizer is the a preferred brand ?
Any will do. Most Walmart or Home Depot carry a Clorox brand.
Do I add the stabilizer and chlorine on the same day ? Then when do I test next?
You can. Use the Sock Method to add CYA/stabilizer. Add chlorine daily to target the FC based on the CYA -- FC/CYA Levels

Thank you, and from what I am reading after adding them I will check those levels daily?
Yes, FC and pH. TA weekly. CYA and CH monthly. With experience, you may be able to relax that in the future. But you must first learn your pool and the chemistry.

I'm reading its recommend to test free chlorine daily, but why don't we test CYA daily if the free chlorine is determined by the CYA level ?
And as far as adding liquid Chlorine daily, if I'm not testing CYA daily, then how much will I know to add ?
Hope this make sense!

CYA does not change very quickly. You need to replace a large quantity of pool water with fresh water to lower the CYA. And if you are not adding CYA, it will have little change over time. It does degrade 5% or so a month.

So you test FC daily, with a fiberglass pool I suspect you can check pH weekly, TA weekly, and CH and CYA monthly.

CYA does not change very quickly. You need to replace a large quantity of pool water with fresh water to lower the CYA. And if you are not adding CYA, it will have little change over time. It does degrade 5% or so a month.

So you test FC daily, with a fiberglass pool I suspect you can check pH weekly, TA weekly, and CH and CYA monthly.
So for instance , I added CYA by sick method last night, once I get the CYA to within the recommended range then I would use that number for say the entire month to use to balance my free Cl as I check it daily ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So for instance , I added CYA by sick method last night, once I get the CYA to within the recommended range then I would use that number for say the entire month to use to balance my free Cl as I check it daily ?
Correct.

Once you add the CYA to the pool via the sock method, consider the CYA already in the pool water (even though most of it is still in the sock) and dose your FC according to the new anticipated CYA level.

Once you add the CYA to the pool via the sock method, consider the CYA already in the pool water (even though most of it is still in the sock) and dose your FC according to the new anticipated CYA level.
Is it normal for the CYA in the sock to take over 12 hrs to dissolve?.... I just put a glove on this morning and squished it around in the skimmer basket to all had dissolved .. that ok? And I'll test free cl tonight

Is it normal for the CYA in the sock to take over 12 hrs to dissolve?..
In my experience no. I can put about 4 lbs in one large tube sock. I'll let it soak in the skimmer for about 30 minutes, then I'll start squeezing the sock. It takes me about 5-10 minutes to squeeze all the "mush" granules out of the sock.

The warmer the pool water the quicker mine seems to dissolve.
If I hang the sock by a return (pump on), I start squeezing after 1-2 hours. If it doesn't start dissolving then, I wait another hour or two.
In the skimmer churning around, I start squeezing after an hour or less.

Start manipulating the sock after an hour or two - see how it goes.

No need to be in a rush - it will dissolve eventually.

Fill out your signature with pool, pool equipment (including manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This assists us in providing help base on your specific pool without the need to ask each time.

Post a full set of current test results to PoolMath
You already have PoolMath linked to your forum profile, but it's missing the test results.

In my experience no. I can put about 4 lbs in one large tube sock. I'll let it soak in the skimmer for about 30 minutes, then I'll start squeezing the sock. It takes me about 5-10 minutes to squeeze all the "mush" granules out of the sock.
Ok thanks. I think I just expected it to dissolve on its own. ;)
Fill out your signature with pool, pool equipment (including manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This assists us in providing help base on your specific pool without the need to ask each time.

You already have PoolMath linked to your forum profile, but it's missing the test results.
I can add model numbers but I had logged test results so I'm not sure why they are not showing

I had numbers entered so unsure why not showing up, I also do not know how to post to POOLMATH.

I had numbers entered so unsure why not showing up, I also do not know how to post to POOLMATH.
All I see in your logs is a stabilizer and chlorine addition.
Maybe you didn't click the save checkmark? Maybe try again?

Use the link I posted to update your signature with the info I noted.
Your signature is more detailed than your profile info as it relates to your pool.

Reactions: Addy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.