Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There's a dead animal in my pool

1. Back To Top    #1

There's a dead animal in my pool

In my pool
    help
    2016-08-03 20.30.15.jpg
    13k gal IG plaster; Jandy CV460 cartridge filter; Jandy Pro Series JEP2.0 variable speed ePump; Built in 2014; Taylor K-2006; Spa, Heater, LED lights, Polaris 360 cleaner, Rainbow inline chlorinator; City water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: There's a dead animal in my pool

doesn't look particularly menacing: just take it out and enjoy the pool. Whatever that poor thing brought in is long killed by chlorine provided you have correct level of FC in the water.

Be grateful it didn't chose deep end to end its days .
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Uhm. Get it out.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok I got it out
    oh god
    how will I ever swim in the pool again? No amount of chlorine will fix this
    It was a gigantic rat
    RAT
    13k gal IG plaster; Jandy CV460 cartridge filter; Jandy Pro Series JEP2.0 variable speed ePump; Built in 2014; Taylor K-2006; Spa, Heater, LED lights, Polaris 360 cleaner, Rainbow inline chlorinator; City water

5. Back To Top    #5

Looks like a mole, we had one earlier this year in our pool. It also ended up in our skimmer, I would put a grocery bag over your hand (like a glove) and pull it out. But as my daughters say "dad's gross!"

Mike
    Inground 18'x36' vinyl liner SWG pool

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jesses408 View Post
    Ok I got it out
    oh god
    It was a gigantic rat
    RAT
    whatever it brought in is already converted to safe compounds and does not exist in its original form. It's all psychological, no science to back up.
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

And the best part is that I don't know how long it's been in there because I clean the skimmer basket every Wednesday. I could have been swimming in rat water for the past week! RAT WATER!

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok, that's worse than a mole. If it were in my pool I would just hope I was the one to find it (then I would dispose of it and never tell the girls for fear they wouldn't swim in the pool ever again).
    Inground 18'x36' vinyl liner SWG pool

9. Back To Top    #9

You can raise the FC 2 or 3 ppm if it will make you feel better.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Pffft, we've come out to dead opossums, squirrels, and birds in our pool. And had a living tarantula in the skimmer weir, what's next?
    16K gal inground plaster pool w/ spa, built 2005; Pentair Tagleus TA 100-D Sand Filter, Pentair 3HP intelli-flo pump, Polaris 360 cleaner, Easy Touch 8 control center.

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok I got it out
    oh god
    It was a gigantic rat
    RAT
    Sounds like the only option is to fill in the pool and dig a new one elsewhere. Good luck!

27,000g, 3'-9' IG; Freeform Concrete; Hayward 1hp SuperPump; Hayward Sand Filter S244T

12. Back To Top    #12

And the best part is that I don't know how long it's been in there because I clean the skimmer basket every Wednesday. I could have been swimming in rat water for the past week! RAT WATER!
    You might want to check it a few times a week from now on.
    Personally, I clean mine out daily, especially since we have a surrounding garden and lots of trees, and use a skimmer sock.
    22,000 gallon ig vinyl solar heated (panels and cover) zeolite filtrate

13. Back To Top    #13

My best find was a 4' water moccasin. Alive!

Quote Originally Posted by cannoncd View Post
    Sounds like the only option is to fill in the pool and dig a new one elsewhere. Good luck!

LOL!!!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Did you get a new belt????
    Inherited 24' Muskin Above ground
    13500 gal
    Hayward S180T92S Sand filter
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir
    TFPC for Beginners | Pool Math | Pool School | CYA Chart | SLAM | Test Kits | ABC's

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post

LOL!!!
    75-lb. snapping turtle, very much alive. [Pond is 30 feet from pool.]
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

16. Back To Top    #16

Got 3 chipmunks so far this year. I would recommend checking the skimmer more than once a week though.
    24,000 gal vinyl Lazy L, 1 hp pump, DE Filter, Pentair 250K heater, Letro Legend pressure side pool sweep

17. Back To Top    #17

Going to start checking the skimmer daily now! I put in 2 gallons of concentrated bleach yesterday for good measure. Need to get all the rat water cleaned

18. Back To Top    #18

Have any of you used the critter skimmer? I saw mention of it somewhere (this forum?) recently and checked it out. May help keep ickies out of your pool!

Amazon.com : Critter Skimmer 10-Inch Round Pool Skimmer Cover, Gray : Swimming Pool Skimmers : Patio, Lawn Garden
    16 x 32 IG plaster pool, 23k gallons, built 1992, DE filter, Pentair VS pump, IoThyngs controller, Taylor 2006 test kit, SoCal water restrictions
    Newbies with green pools, see SLAM and Recommended Test Kits. My company: IoThyngs

19. Back To Top    #19

That's actually a really good idea if it works. I'd rather spend the money buying those than ever have to fish a dead rat out of my pool and think of swimming in rat water

Quote Originally Posted by Amail View Post
    Have any of you used the critter skimmer? I saw mention of it somewhere (this forum?) recently and checked it out. May help keep ickies out of your pool!

Amazon.com : Critter Skimmer 10-Inch Round Pool Skimmer Cover, Gray : Swimming Pool Skimmers : Patio, Lawn Garden

20. Back To Top    #20

Just slam until the animal is completely digested.
    25,000 Gallons Inground, Gunite
    DE, Hayward Filter
    Loud pump
    Hayward navigator cleaner, leaf hose suction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast