New Home, New Pool, New Problems

Jun 20, 2016
Gettysburg, PA
I have an above ground pool which came with the house I bought last year in July. It was a beautiful blue then. This year we opened made a lot of rookie mistakes in doing so and needless to say have been dealing with it since. Our pool is a cloudy blue but floor still visible when it's settled. When I start cleaning the floor it's a quick green/blue cloud and I can no longer see the bottom. I've shocked it several times (newbies version of that being with the packets from the store HTC brand) used the clarifier and also the algae product along with a few other things in the last few weeks. I read on here about a test kit so I've purchased the pool master 5 way test kit. Initially it had no chlorine or bromine it just stayed clear, the ph was perfect. The alkalinity seemed good to from what I understood. That was prior to adding about 18 packets of shock which helped but then vacuuming stirred up more which has made it go back somewhat to wear we started just not as bad. I added 7 more packets of shock today. I'm waiting for an hour before testing it again. But any tips could help. I'm a really confused first time pool owner envious of everyone's in sight. ?

I am not familiar with that kit name, it could be private label for one promoted here, if it is you will be asked to post a set of numbers.

You are just blindly dumping things in hoping for clarity and you need to stop that because you are making a witches brew that is just going to require a longer SLAM process which means you will spend more money and time on it than if you just quit dumping things in.

Someone who knows a bit more will be in here to assist you, the first question they will ask is that you post a set of numbers ~ that is a request for your test results. So if you have them handy post them or if you are waiting for the additional 7 packets to dissolve post once you have tested.

Please stop putting anything into the water until someone is able to assist you.

Natali- you've got a big honkin'pool on your hands. This ain't no kiddy pool you can let the water go to pot and just drain and start again. So that said, you need a big girl's pool testing kit. The one you have now is not a complete kit as we advise folks to get, its missing the most important element-the FAS-DPD chlorine test along with quality tests for CYA.

Please consider ordering a TF-100 or a Taylor's K-2006. You can find them at TFTestkits.net or on Amazon. Sure the kit costs $70 but it would have saved you a lot of money by not buying unnecessary chemicals like algaecide and packets of "shock".

We need to know:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA level

Don't dump any more bags of granular chlorine in as they also contain either calcium (which vinyl pools don't need) or stabilizer (cya) which can cause great problems when it gets too high. Algaecide does NOT kill algae (go figure!) but can help prevent it when used in the rare times we recommend it.

Add a gallon of normal, plain household bleach in that big pool daily until you can get a real test kit. Start reading Pool School articles, starting here: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Bring back your questions, 'k?

Yip :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.