New pool start up

texasgal78

Bronze Supporter
Feb 17, 2016
Prosper, TX
We are scheduled for pre-plaster on Thursday and plaster on Friday, but with all the rain in the forecast, I'm not sure if it will happen. I'm trying to get prepared. My husband picked up 4 bottles of 31% muriatic acid and I found this

20160601_103221.jpg

for $2.50/gallon at Walmart today. It was, i think, 3.80 something. It's 10% sodium hypochlorite. Is this a good price and how many should I keep on hand? We will be responsible for the pool startup and I told my hubby to ask the plaster company what kind of startup they want us to do. We are doing the Wet Edge prism matrix. My husband's friend, who has worked for a pool company for probably 20 years, is supposed to come over and help us. I'm a little worried about what he tells us to do and that it may not be the TFP way. (I'm sure he knows A LOT about pools!) I keep trying to explain to my husband and keep encouraging him to do his research like I have so he can understand everything, but he's been so busy and chemistry doesn't seem as interesting as motorcycles!! He argues with me that using pucks is the way it's been done all these years and if most people do it, what's the problem! ugh!!! It's so frustrating trying to explain it to him!! So anyways, his friend told him to pick up 8 gallons of muriatic acid and 20 lbs of shock. Is that sodium hypochlorite with stabilizer? I know we will need to add cya, so is that the method. I'm still trying to learn and hoping I don't sound completely stupid! I just want to know exactly what I should do before he comes so I kinda sound like I know what I'm talking about! :) I've printed out all of the pool school and every category on there for reference and the pool startup sheet. Thanks!!

It is a good price. Until you know your pool's appetite for chlorine, it's hard to say. But I don't see a SWG in your signature line, so the answer is "as much as you are comfortable buying and storing because you will use it all eventually".

While we don't always recommend the use of pucks, they are encouraged with new plaster because they add some stabilizer (CYA) to new water and because they are acidic they help to keep the pH from rising so fast. But what I would also recommend is to watch the builder carefully on the day they come to add chemicals and do the initial start-up. Take notes and ask about EACH product they are dumping in the water. Get names and quantities! You'll want that for later when you come back here for advice. Also, start now by reading the TFP Pool School - Start-up New Plaster page. First & foremost you will follow your builder's recommendations for the plaster warranty, but with this page you will hopefully understand everything better and/or can ask educated questions. Acid & regular bleach will be a common diet for your pool for a long time. Don't let anyone dump pool store junk in there without knowing what it will do. The last thing you want in 6 months to a year is to be told you have to drain your pool because of metals or excessive CYA. Best of luck on your build, and keep an umbrella handy. :)

It is a good price. Until you know your pool's appetite for chlorine, it's hard to say. But I don't see a SWG in your signature line, so the answer is "as much as you are comfortable buying and storing because you will use it all eventually".
Thanks! Yes, no salt water generator. Where do you store your chemicals, in the garage??

While we don't always recommend the use of pucks, they are encouraged with new plaster because they add some stabilizer (CYA) to new water and because they are acidic they help to keep the pH from rising so fast. But what I would also recommend is to watch the builder carefully on the day they come to add chemicals and do the initial start-up. Take notes and ask about EACH product they are dumping in the water. Get names and quantities! You'll want that for later when you come back here for advice. Also, start now by reading the TFP Pool School - Start-up New Plaster page. First & foremost you will follow your builder's recommendations for the plaster warranty, but with this page you will hopefully understand everything better and/or can ask educated questions. Acid & regular bleach will be a common diet for your pool for a long time. Don't let anyone dump pool store junk in there without knowing what it will do. The last thing you want in 6 months to a year is to be told you have to drain your pool because of metals or excessive CYA. Best of luck on your build, and keep an umbrella handy. :)

We are the builder :) My husband is going to ask the plaster company what they recommend us do for the start up. So instead of the liquid chlorine for the startup, we should buy the "20 lbs of shock" as advised by my husband's friend. Does "shock" contain the stabilizer? Is that the pucks? or is that just plain sodium hypochorite and we add stabilizer (cya)?

Depends on the particular product. If it's granulated, it either has stabilizer (CYA) or Calcium (adds to CH) in it. Granulated shock is effectively the same as pucks - they'll add CYA or CH to your water.

That can be good or bad depending on the levels of those chemicals at the time. Being a new fill, you can assume 0 CYA, but you'd have to test your fill water to see what the CH value is. You'll definitely need CYA (stabilizer), and you may or may not need to add calcium depending on how hard your water is.

Depends on the particular product. If it's granulated, it either has stabilizer (CYA) or Calcium (adds to CH) in it. Granulated shock is effectively the same as pucks - they'll add CYA or CH to your water.

That can be good or bad depending on the levels of those chemicals at the time. Being a new fill, you can assume 0 CYA, but you'd have to test your fill water to see what the CH value is. You'll definitely need CYA (stabilizer), and you may or may not need to add calcium depending on how hard your water is.

Thanks! So I should test my fill water and check CH. Do I check anything else or just CH?

Exactly! What Trip said. That's why I emphasize to take good notes. I've seen way to many times that builders, while very good at what they do, are horrible when it comes to chemicals and testing. Most could not give 2-cents about a TF-100 or test results. They build, get paid, then leave. So make sure you know what's going in the water and have your TF-100 ready.

- - - Updated - - -

Checking fill water might give you some idea of what to expect, but nothing is a precise as testing the pool itself after the initial doses of chemicals are added.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.