Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Background note: we ended up having to find our own contractors to complete our build (plumbing, electrical, plaster, cleanup) after excuses and issues with our builder.
So we finally have the pool complete. It’s been 4 days since plaster was completed and 2 days since fill up finished.

We are currently following the steps in the NPT startup and testing the water and adjusting according to the pool math app.
So far we personally have only added Muriatic Acid and today per NPT we will need to add Calcium Chloride to increase our hardness from 100 to minimum 150 BUT My builder came by 2 days ago to handle the start up (in my opinion this was only his attempt to eliminate being charged our direct hire costs we are asking he reimburse) which he did a horrible job at….he walked the pool and poured liquid chlorine, stabilizer, and muriatic acid.L in but he did not test the water. He stated this was standard procedure. As I researched NPTs startup instructions feeling uneasy about what he did, they clearly state do not add liquid chlorine within 48 hours! Uuuuggg.”!!!! How do you start a pool and add chemicals without testing.

Soooo this leads me to today. We are concerned as we noticed several black spots in the pool Plaster this morning and I wanted to see if anyone has any guidance on what this could be? Our plaster is NPT Quartzscapes Super Blue with extra blue quartz added. Is this a result of the chemicals he added, metals, poor plastering? Is it chipping away? Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 36088FD1-2768-458A-A20A-BF86B3991AF1.jpeg
    36088FD1-2768-458A-A20A-BF86B3991AF1.jpeg
    286.1 KB · Views: 50
  • CDCDC700-59EE-46BB-9B12-13BCC712E6A2.jpeg
    CDCDC700-59EE-46BB-9B12-13BCC712E6A2.jpeg
    374.1 KB · Views: 49
  • AFCBEC60-1F2C-4347-8BA9-4739675E5FC3.jpeg
    AFCBEC60-1F2C-4347-8BA9-4739675E5FC3.jpeg
    408.8 KB · Views: 48
Looks like debris. Chemical issues would be broadly spread out around the pool surface where the chemicals were poured in. It could be some junk that was in the plumbing (not at all unusual) that worked it’s way out.

Have you lightly brushed those areas to see if it’s just debris?

Also, don’t stress too much about the PB’s startup. Just test your water and make sure your chemistry is close to where it should be. The chemistry is easy to fix.

Reactions: JamesW
Your experience with your build is so unfortunate but appears you were able to find good contractors to finish.
Very interesting that the PB came by after plaster since he did not organize the plaster work. Oh well, all is not bad as monitoring your pool water chemistry is the easy part. Go ahead and test and post those results to the PM logs so we can see them. It is important to brush your pool during startup and monitor the pH especially.
Also, it may be good time to update your signature with all your pool information, pool equipment and test kit.
Create Your Signature is the link.

Looks like debris. Chemical issues would be broadly spread out around the pool surface where the chemicals were poured in. It could be some junk that was in the plumbing (not at all unusual) that worked it’s way out.

Have you lightly brushed those areas to see if it’s just debris?

Also, don’t stress too much about the PB’s startup. Just test your water and make sure your chemistry is close to where it should be. The chemistry is easy to fix.
Ok so you are correct, lol. I feel so silly. Sorry. My husband brushed this morning so I didn’t think so ask him before panicking and posting a thread. I called him to ask if he had seen the spots and he stated just what you mention, he believes it’s just leaves and debris which they are as they moved when I just brushed in that area. Whhheewww!
I am just so nervous!

Your experience with your build is so unfortunate but appears you were able to find good contractors to finish.
Very interesting that the PB came by after plaster since he did not organize the plaster work. Oh well, all is not bad as monitoring your pool water chemistry is the easy part. Go ahead and test and post those results to the PM logs so we can see them. It is important to brush your pool during startup and monitor the pH especially.
Also, it may be good time to update your signature with all your pool information, pool equipment and test kit.
Yes, it is very unfortunate. It totally tainted the build experience for us but we are hoping it will be worth all of the stress once our dealings with him are a thing of the past and we can get to enjoying our pool. (Of course it’s too cold now)
We too thought the nerve of this guy wanting to choose what and when he wants to show up which is why I feel it was totally for his benefit to save his pocketbook and make new contacts.
We did however remind the contractors we hired directly not to work with him without securing payment in advance as this is why we are in this situation. We do not think how he operates is ethical at all!
Thanks for the signature reminder and support!!! I will get my readings updated today and I will update PM logs as well so that my results are recorded there versus in my notepad.

Can I post results to the logs without completing the chemical steps PM advises? I have completed my tests several times but am trying to follow the NPT Quartzscapes start up that states on Day 1 to lower Alkalinity to 80 and PH to 7.2 to 7.6.
My TA is 110 and PH 7.5. I’ve been adding Muriatic acid the last 24 hrs.

Is it okay to only focus on TA and PH and not address the other results as NPT doesn’t mention the others? Or should I actively work on the other levels per the PM app as well?

PH: 7.5
CH: 125
TC: 6.5
FC: 6
TA: 110
CYA: 30

Last edited:
Can I post results to the logs without completing the chemical steps PM advises? I have completed my tests several times but am trying to follow the NPT Quartzscapes start up that states on Day 1 to lower Alkalinity to 80 and PH to 7.2 to 7.6.
If you only test pH and TA then just post those results to your PM app plus any chemical additions. I see in your PM log the additions of MA but no test results. If you test FC then post that to your PM app as well, even if you do not take any action on chemical additions.
The PM just provides a history of all your test values as well as chemical additions. It also becomes easier for the experts to help if you have a question.

Just remember that pH lowers more quickly than TA with a given amount of MA. So always consider where your pH will be when you add MA. The PM app is very helpful in giving you the approx. values of what effect a “x” amount of MA will lower both pH and TA. Don’t let your pH drift below 7.

Is it okay to only focus on TA and PH and not address the other results as NPT doesn’t mention the others? Or should I actively work on the other levels per the PM app as well?
Focus on the values that NPT guidelines gives you. The PM app can track 1 test value or 8 test values. Just put in the ones you test and any chemical additions.

Reactions: Newdude
If you only test pH and TA then just post those results to your PM app plus any chemical additions. I see in your PM log the additions of MA but no test results. If you test FC then post that to your PM app as well, even if you do not take any action on chemical additions.
The PM just provides a history of all your test values as well as chemical additions. It also becomes easier for the experts to help if you have a question.

Just remember that pH lowers more quickly than TA with a given amount of MA. So always consider where your pH will be when you add MA. The PM app is very helpful in giving you the approx. values of what effect a “x” amount of MA will lower both pH and TA. Don’t let your pH drift below 7.

Focus on the values that NPT guidelines gives you. The PM app can track 1 test value or 8 test values. Just put in the ones you test and any chemical additions.
Got it thanks. I will try figure out what I am doing wrong, why you can’t see my test results. Maybe there are multiple screens I need to use.
Also, good to know I can see the effects of the chemicals. I see it in the options menu now. That will be very useful. Still learning the app… Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Also, good to know I can see the effects of the chemicals
Another way is to just reverse engineer it on the regular tabs for any parameter. I started that way, seeing how much chlorine I would need to go from X to Y (etc for the other parameters) and never needed the effects of adding section.

Instead of backing out of the Ph page, I'd just adjust the parameters until they told me the same thing as effects of adding.

Play around and find the way that works best for your brain. (y)

Got it thanks. I will try figure out what I am doing wrong, why you can’t see my test results.
After you input the test results, you must click on the check mark at top of page to save. If you have the free version, it only saves the latest test results. If you purchased the premium version for $8/yr it will save all your test data. I can see the 3 additions of MA because you save it after you did the input.

Also, on the Settings page - activate the buttons to track Salt, Temperature and CSI. All are needed since you have a SWCG.

One other item on test results. Let’s say you test FC, CC, CYA, pH and TA and saved that. Then next time you test only pH and TA. The app will use the previous data such as FC & CC and CYA if needed for any internal calculations such as CSI. So you never have to test every parameter and the app will continue to use that data until it is updated.

Reactions: mknauss

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.