how can resurface bids be so different

tcrote,

It happens all the time even on jobs that are pretty well defined and straight-forward like yours, where the scope is "replace system". As you pointed out there are lots of good reasons this can happen. Unfortunately there are also some cases where the contractor left out a major part of job in his estimate, sometimes intentionally. Yes, if this is the case he still has to do the work... contractually anyway. But it will be like pulling teeth and everything will be done the absolute cheapest way possible to reduce his loss. Or he will notify you of the omission after the "hole is dug". In the end the job result is usually far inferior. That's why even for straight-forward projects I like to write out the work items. For your example it might be:

Remove and dispose old unit.
Install "brand X", "Model Y". Contractor may offer alternate with SEER rating of "Z" and describe benefit to Owner (usually price but could be performance/warranty etc). Owner's sole discretion to make the choice.
Contractor includes cost of permits, lifting equipment and delivery of materials.
Contractor has inspected system and found no additional work required.

Chris

Will be hard to accomplish on Whidbey Island as services are few
But will give it a shot
thank you

Engrav,

That is a complication. Luckily it's a pretty big island and you have some cities within 15 miles or so. But you do have to contend with limited bidders to some extent. You already have one quote with pretty good detail on the project and it looks like you may have enough contractors in the area to have them inspect and recommend solutions then use the process I described. If they resist and you end up with limited bids you can "condition the bids". This is where you try to get two of the bidder's offer in writing on comparable scope. If one left something out ask him if it's included and to list it as a separate item. When you ask these kinds of questions bidders get the sense that they're on the "short list" and will usually try harder to win.

Keep us updated and good luck. Please feel free to follow-up for suggestions as you proceed.

Chris

So now have 3 bids. $32k, $14k, and $13k.
None will divide into materials, labor, other.
None will/can explain the difference between 1 and 2 / 3.
So I cannot / do not know if 2 / 3 are skimping on something or 1 is gouging me or doing a super fine job.
So gonna just skip it this year as is no emergency.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.