SLAM- Day 2. Need advice

Hey guys,

South Florida pool owner here. My pool gets full sun, and the last week or two my chlorine levels have plummeted quickly after I add liquid chlorine. Guessing I have an algae issue, so I'm SLAMMING right now.

I started yesterday afternoon - CYA starting level was 35 and pH was 7.4. Got the pool up to shock level, brushed and maintained. I only lost 1.5 ppm of Chlorine overnight.

At 7 am the FC was 18.5. But at noon the FC was 12. Is this decline normal with an algae problem? Seems really fast to me.

Between an algae bloom and the sun's UV in sunny FL, I suspect you're pretty close to the expected FC loss rate. In the first few days it's especially critical to maintain that FC at its target SLAM level. Just do the best you can, and after a couple days it should start to taper-off and be more stable/consistent.

Remember that algae grows in sunlight, so whatever isn't dead by sunrise will start to grow again, which will increase the FC usage over and above the UV breakdown. You're doing well. Many people report almost complete FC depletion between doses early on in the process. Keep hammering that algae with 16 FC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.