ChristineM07

Aug 31, 2021
Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My question is, is a CYA of 90 too high to perform an effective SLAM for mustard algae? According to the tables in TFP, the FC for SLAM is 35 and it is 51 for the Mustard Algae SLAM. Is it even possible to obtain a FC level that high without bringing in truck loads of liquid chlorine?

Background: I've been struggling with mustard algae for a long time. Previously I had been following the advice of the local pool store, but that got me nowhere. So now I am here, re-learning the basics. This will be my first time using the SLAM method.

(Tested using the recommended Taylor test kit)
FC 7.5
CC 0
pH 7.4
TA 90
CH 240
CYA 90

13,000 gallon chlorine pool; south Florida; plaster

Last edited:
This will be my first time using the SLAM method
It will likely be enough. Mustard algae is rare but frequently used to easily blame when using poor procedures/methods to remove regular algae. It's not the bad advice. No ma'am. It's scary Mustard Algae or maybe aliens.

Welcome to the forum.
How did you determine 7.3 ppm FC? That value is not a normal value resulting from using a Taylor FAS-DPD test.

It will likely be enough. Mustard algae is rare but frequently used to easily blame when using poor procedures/methods to remove regular algae. It's not the bad advice. No ma'am. It's scary Mustard Algae or maybe aliens.
I'm slightly confused by your response. Will I be able to follow the SLAM procedure for mustard algae with a CYA of 90?

We do not recommend trying to follow the SLAM Process at CYA greater than about 60 ppm. You would be best served by exchanging half of your pool water to fresh, if possible.

First, post a picture of what you are saying is Mustard Algae. Also, do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Reactions: Newdude
I'm slightly confused by your response.
Apologies. It was meant to explain that for all the times newer members tell us it's Mustard Algae, it rarely is. It's entirely possible that you're the exception to the rule, but statically speaking, you likely have plain old algae.
Will I be able to follow the SLAM procedure for mustard algae with a CYA of 90?
Maintaining SLAM Level of 36 for a CYA of 90 will be both difficult and expensive. Maintaining MA SLAM Level after completing the regular SLAM will be nearly impossible at 90 CYA. It will be burning off almost as fast as you can add it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.