Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Snow East Coast

1. Back To Top    #1

Big Snow East Coast

Is everybody ready?? How do yo handle snow loads on your cover?
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Big Snow East Coast

ONE flake of snow here and we close down the whole state! LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Maryland too!! I've been off work for two days because of heating problems, I am stir crazy already!
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Ah the beautiful part about living in Tucson - the snow is up in the mountains and I get to look at it...but it never comes for a visit

Stay safe and warm friends!!

Matt

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

I live in northern VA and this will be the 2nd or 3rd big storm since we bought the house. One thing to be aware of is to have a way to identify where the pool starts incase the kids play in the yard. It gets difficult to tell at ground level when everything is covered in white snow.
    25,000 gallon in ground white plaster- 1 1/2 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump - 60 sqft FNS DE filter (with FiberClear), 1999 Sundance Optima 850 hot tub.
    Manassas Park, VA

6. Back To Top    #6

Helen NO heat at work? Do you get paid anyway?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

here in The Queen City, people lose the ability to drive. 1.5 inches of the white death on our road means everyone must drive either 10 mph or 70 mph. Today the 10 mph'ers were out in full force when my 40 min commute took an hour and 50 min.

and forget trying to find milk, coffee, or bread. it's gone like a freight train, gone like yesterday.
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Washington Post headline this morning from a dusting at rush hour yesterday: An inch of snow, icy roads, unleash 9 hours of traffic chaos across D.C. region.

This weekend we're in the 1-2' zone and it is going to be a mess!!

Kim, I did get paid, and I worked from home some, too.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Helen203 View Post
    9 hours of traffic chaos across D.C. region.
    Isn't this just the normal traffic conditions for DC....

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Isn't this just the normal traffic conditions for DC....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006
    Hey, not entirely true. I lived there for about ten years. Five commuting into DC from Annapolis and five commuting in from Vienna (Northern, VA). Under normal conditions, or even normal snow conditions traffic can be heavy and slow, but it generally moves. This time it seems no one in the Regions Departments of Transportation seemed to look at the news to know a storm was coming. They failed to pre-treat the roads and that was all she wrote.

Funny, I put the wife on a plane to DC yesterday, but luckily she will only be walking while there. But, I do wonder if she will make it back tomorrow....

But, I think we have all moved off the question of snow on covers......
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    I live in northern VA and this will be the 2nd or 3rd big storm since we bought the house. One thing to be aware of is to have a way to identify where the pool starts incase the kids play in the yard. It gets difficult to tell at ground level when everything is covered in white snow.
    That is an outstanding point!

Hope everyone is safe and warm!
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

12. Back To Top    #12

Live stream of DC snowstorm from Speaker Ryan's balcony, replete with groovy music: https://www.youtube.com/embed/F6aECjnpLTw

I don't always agree with his politics, but I like his sense of humor!!

13. Back To Top    #13

After the first snowfall of the year around here, everyone remembers how to drive in the stuff. The only thing that slows us down is the sub-zero temps sometimes this time of year. Snow? That just means the commute is more fun!

:handbrake: :donut: :backonline:
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

14. Back To Top    #14

haha, this is a BIG DEAL in the mid-Atlantic, we love our snow, probably because it melts in a week or two. And we get off of work and school for days in a row! Also worth noting, this blizzard directly effects 30 million people, likely many more than live in Mn.

15. Back To Top    #15

Will the country even notice that the Feds are shutdown.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

16. Back To Top    #16

Nope, but the federal agencies are filled with highly educated and qualified people, for the record!

2" inches in Annapolis, above predictions! I should rename myself "snow nerd".

Friday My skating pond has a couple feet of ice in it.

Saturday

Our landscape lights are almost covered, they are 15" high. May get a few more inches. It was extremely windy last night, but we didn't lose power (for once!).

17. Back To Top    #17

It seems that's not all they are filled with.

Just checking in on the Snowmageddon folks on here. Hopefully everyone is tucked in warm and cozy!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

18. Back To Top    #18

We are west of DC, so far 15 inches, they say it will continue today but I'm thinking the totals will be a lot less than predicted yesterday. It is amazing the hype. But we went out and bought comfort food and are wrapped up in blankets watching the snow drop out the windows. I will have to carve out a spot for my dog soon. Keeping an eye on my cover as well.
    Pool build spring/summer 2015. IG. 750 sq ft pool. 40 sq.ft spa. 18ft x 42ft rectangle, 31,000 gallons, SWG, DE Pentair model, 2 boosters variable speed model, heater master temp Pentair, Quartz finish Aegean Green, CoverStar Automated Pool Cover, Kreepy Krawley Platinum, TF100,SpeedStir My Build in Progress

19. Back To Top    #19

We were to be on the outskirts of the storm however I suspect it turned slightly as we were hit with a good bit more than expected. They were only calling for 1-2 inches however we're up to about 7-8 so far. Got the fire going and going to enjoy a movie day with the kiddo's and likely will get to play in the snow some today.

20. Back To Top    #20

Jealous of the snow you're getting! Not much here this winter. If there's not enough snow to sled, ski or ride a snowmobile, what's the point?

sent from mobile. beware of brevity and spelling errors.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast