How to drain water while freeze protector is on

Nov 27, 2015
Edmond, Oklahoma
My pool is quite full from recent rain. Now the temps have dropped, and the freeze protector is on. However, a lot more rain is expected and I need to drain some water before it gets close to overflowing. I can't move the handle on my sand filter to waste. When the freeze protector is on, it appears to be locked on to the filter setting. Can I override the freeze protector so I can drain some of the water?

from what I have read about sand filters you should not try to move the filter valve while the pump is on it,s not good for the pump. I have a cartridge filter so I don't have any real world experience but if it were me I would, turn the pump off via the breaker if that was my only option. then move to waste and turn the breaker back on.

Breaker should be fine as far as the equipment is concerned it is no different than a switch. If you are concerned about the breaker you can replace it with one that is rated for switch duty for $10 to $30 depending the the breaker. Its' probably not necessary though, I know people who have workshops that have been using breakers to turn lights and compressors on and off that are not switch rated for years without problems. If you do decide to change it look for the same breaker with SWD on the front of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.