Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Leak & Jacuzzi handle broke off, Need help, sugguestions, etc...Thanks!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Seminole, Al

Pool Leak & Jacuzzi handle broke off, Need help, sugguestions, etc...Thanks!!

Hello everyone!! My name is Bonnie & I am new on this site!! I have a couple of questions, first my pool is leaking & I have a leak detection company coming out tomorrow to find the leak, I noticed even when my pool is off, it is still leaking, could be the light that my husband put in over the summer or our liner which is old, but hopefully they can patch it up. My question is when I was backwashing the pool our jacuzzi handle broke off!! I don't know whether to invest in getting the valve kit on line, since they went out of business or just get a new sand filter? The pool tech that I always talk to & trust says when that jacuzzi filter goes out, get another filter, don't mess with jacuzzi anymore... Money is tight with only my hubby working & this is all fallling apart at the same time!! When we bought our house about 10 yrs. ago, it already had the inground pool in it. All we did was put a fence around the pool (for our small kids & pets) & got a new Polaris pool cleaner. This is all new to us!! We did have the pool company come out & talk about pool school to us, so I am familiar with adding chemicals, etc to the pool.. So, should I buy a whole new Hayward Sand Filter or just the valve kit part? I know it's about $100.00 either on Ebay or Amazon, Again money is tight & I really don't know what to do? Wondering what the guy is going to find out about the leak...
    Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thanks for your time!!!

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: Pool Leak & Jacuzzi handle broke off, Need help, sugguestions, etc...Thanks!!

Hello bama and welcome to TFP. TFP is all about making pool life easier on you AND your pocketbook, so members will pitch-in and try to help. Yes, sometimes a little "DIY" work to replace a valve is a good choice, but it does depend on the age of the unit. There are many new sand filters on the market for a reasonable price. Before we answer that question or try to guide you towards a new product, can you tell us the specifics of your pool? Ideally load the pool size, type, and equipment into your signature if possible (like mine below). We need to know the size of your pool to give you some guidance.

As for the chemicals and pool store's pool school ... please be VERY careful about that. Many times a pool store tests water and provides products that are over-priced, not really needed, or can add by-products to your water that makes it worse later. This page Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals is ALL you need. Also, if you're not testing your own water, you really need to. Test strips and store testing are simply unreliable. Please see the TF-100 link below in my sig. It's a small amount compared to the $$$ in chemicals you might spend when advised by others.

Please reply and keep us posted and we'll do everything we can to assist. Welcome to TFP!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!