Mysterious pipe

margavsoni

May 4, 2024
MASSACHUSETTS
I found this black pipe next to pool filter equipment. IMG_3138-compressed.jpegIt is not a return pipe. I tried to hose down some water in that pipe and the water keep going deep. I dont think its going to the pool though. What could this pipe be? Would this be some kind of cleanout?IMG_3140-compressed.jpegIMG_3141-compressed.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like a 1.5 inch (?) irrigation pipe. Do you have inground sprinklers ? If not maybe it was for an old hose bib out there.

If you have a vinyl pool, it is most likely a well point... A way to drain ground water that might push your liner away for the pool wall.

But... Your guess is just as good as mine.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Its just odd that this would be right next to pool equipments.
They used poly pipe for pool plumbing through the 70s and 80s up here. At least one PB in Mass is still using it per a memeber who built last fall. Is the pool old ? The equipment pad / plumbing looks modern.

Not that old. Its built in 2018 I think by the previous owner
Then it isn't old pool plumbing but could be the discharge from a sump pump / dewatering setup like Jim mentioned. Do you have a high ground water table ? Ever see it gushing ?

1.5 inch is a bit much for a future hose spigot but it wouldn't be the first time a worker used whatever he had on the truck that day. :ROFLMAO:

Tug on it and see if it stays shallow or sinks. Maybe it's a 3 ft piece of scrap and only the tip is sticking out. 🤷‍♂️

Then it isn't old pool plumbing but could be the discharge from a sump pump / dewatering setup like Jim mentioned. Do you have a high ground water table ? Ever see it gushing ?

1.5 inch is a bit much for a future hose spigot but it wouldn't be the first time a worker used whatever he had on the truck that day. :ROFLMAO:

Tug on it and see if it stays shallow or sinks. Maybe it's a 3 ft piece of scrap and only the tip is sticking out. 🤷‍♂️
I hope its the scrap, lol. i just ran down some water in it to see if fills up quick or not but it was kept going. It felt like long pipe down. if its the well point, i hope me running down the water in it wont affect the liner. I can’t see much to check the liner yet because we just opened up the pool and water still cloudy a bit.

Could be innerduct. Check around your foundation especially near the service entrance for a similar stub out or termination through a wall with the same pipe.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support