May need new pump??

TN94z

May 15, 2012
Henderson, TN
Opened our pool this weekend. Just as clear as when we closed. The problem is when I turned the pump on, it just hums and then trips the breaker? Think it’s time for a new pump? Do I need to troubleshoot first? The pump is about 11 years old. If new, where is the best place to order and what should I get?

Attachments

• IMG_4317.jpeg
    IMG_4317.jpeg
    358.7 KB · Views: 23
11 years is a long time, but the fix may be as easy as a new capacitor. You have one under the hump on top of the motor and may have another behind the rear motor cover. I would replace the capacitors first if you are handy at a little DIY.

11 years is a long time, but the fix may be as easy as a new capacitor. You have one under the hump on top of the motor and may have another behind the rear motor cover. I would replace the capacitors first if you are handy at a little DIY.

Thanks!
That’s exactly how mine sounds. From the video, looks like the replacement is super simple. Is there a need to discharge any stored energy in this capacitor?
Looks like that is an old single speed. If you effect to just replace it, a new variable speed pump would be ideal and probably save you quite a bit of energy.
It is. A variable speed is definitely going to be the replacement, but if the capacitor gets me a little more time, then I will go that route for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesW
A 30 uF Run capacitor is fine.

You can use a Dual Run Capacitor.

Use the Herm and Common terminals (not the Fan terminal).

Check the diameter to see if it fits in the cover.

Maybe Ace Hardware or a local pool shop.

500 W Main Street 260,
Hendersonville, TN 37075

1714413520676.png
1714413494896.png

1714413669442.png

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support