Green swamp

Rusty did you ever add DE to your filter? I am too lazy to reread your thread so here is the link in case we have not covered it yet.

Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

Just make sure you are going to be able to "babysit" it the first time you do it to fine the amount YOUR pool likes. Mine likes 3/4 cup. There is an other member where their pool likes 2 cups so..........you can see that each pool is different.

Post a current pic so we can see what you are seeing.

Kim

There is a couple things you can try one is putting a knee high panty hose or a skimmer sock etc. in the skimmer basket. I wrote a thread on the knee high being used and here is that link: http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...-on-the-town-or-a-Winter-hunting-trip-anymore

Also you can add small amounts of DE (Diatomaceous Earth- (POOL GRADE ONLY not FOOD GRADE) to your sand filter. Here's a link on how to do that. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/133-add-de-to-a-sand-filter Be sure to remove the skimmer sock or knee high when adding the DE to the skimmer.

If you do add the DE be sure to start low on the amounts you add till you know how your filter will respond, go slow in the amount you pour through the skimmer at one time, and watch your pressure gauge closely. You will need to check your gauge more often when using it, but it will help speed things up, so add it when you have time to check the gauges.

My 1st attempt at using DE didn't go too well. I'm trying to find the link that has my experience in it as soon as I locate that I'll post it for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry kim I was typing and didn't see your post come up.

OK I found it my bad DE experience is in Comment #9 of this post. http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...attempting-to-get-a-3-yr-neglect-pool-back-up

EDIT: I do now use DE most of the time in my sand filter. I only am able to use 1/8-1/4th of a cup diluted in 2-3 gallons of water. But please don't let my bad experience prevent you from trying it because it does help clear that pool much quicker, but I just wanted you to be aware of what could happen with even tiny amounts.

I did add some DE a couple of days ago. I mixed a little with water and added it through the skimmer until the pressure gauge went up two pounds. The gauge has gone up one more pound over those couple of days. The return jet in the pool feels weaker. I think I will backflush the filter, add some more DE and vacuum the pool.

Looks like the numbers are right on the money, so hopefully the cloudiness in the pool will clear soon. Mine did the same way, the numbers were great, but it took a little time to finally get the cloudiness in the pool to clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
been keeping up the DE? have you looked at a slime bag or similar item?

This is the worse part. It's the 10% that's left that takes 90% of the time and patience.

You are doing great as far as I can tell.

Have you taken pics every day? especially of the stairs? or something else in the pool to use as reference?

That was my issue too Rusty. I just kept filtering adding DE to my sand filter, brushing, vacuuming, I kept a knee high panty hose in my skimmer basket all the time except during backwash, rinse, and vacuuming.

I said I know there's a bottom down there somewhere, and I expecting any day for the pool clouds to open up, and chorus in the background to start singing, "Hallelujah" LOL.

Well it did finally happen, and I promise yours will too.

Just keep working at doing things to help your sand filter get all those small particles out of there. (some people also claim that putting a knee high under the top screw plate on their return jet helps too, I never tried it, but some claim it helps. Have a wonderful day.

Thanks I will try the knee high in the skimmer basket. I vacuumed and left the vacuum in the pool when I worked my 12 hour shift last night to see if it would help to suck from the bottom of the pool where it seems the worst. It didn't help to clear the water any and there were a lot of foam balls on the top. They were small bubbles connected together anywhere from the size of a dime to a silver dollar. I went back to using the skimmer and it all went away.

Also I am still using a lot of bleach trying to keep the FC at 24.

Out of curiosity are you certain you didn't accidently use splash proof bleach because it can give you a bubble bath effect.

EDIT: DUH on my part. Sorry. You said they went away with the skimmer. I suspect it was probably air that had seeped overnight. My vac tends to do some weird stuff in there too sometimes.

I'm curious where you are getting the bleach. Where I am, the only bleach available here for $1 is cleaning bleach and it's only 3% or less chlorine. Could be why you're going thru so much.

I get mine from Walmart (Great Valu, $2.94) or Dollar General, $2.96) and both are 8.25% chlorine.

The Great Value from Wallyworld is likely 8.25% as that is standard. Usually, unlabeled is 6% or less. $1/121/.0825 = 10 cents/%-oz (That jug of bleach is typicallly 121 oz). That is an OUTSTANDING price for bleach if your % is accurate but even if it is 6%, I get $1/121/.06 = 13.8 cents/%-oz and that is still fantastic. If it is 3%: $1/121/.03 = 27.6 cents/%-oz and that is getting on the pricey side.

$7.99/512/0.1 = 15.6 cents/%-oz...also fabulous price. Anything below 20 cents/%-oz is a "buy all you can" price.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.