Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gig'em from Dallas burbs!

1. Back To Top    #1

Gig'em from Dallas burbs!

We are going to select a builder in the coming days and would like some input on Pentair v. Jandy. Also, if there are any DFW folks, thoughts on your builder and experience with them.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Gig'em from Dallas burbs!

I've had Pentair for 3 years and it works great, I am very happy with Pentair and I will continue to use it in the future. No experience with anything else except for Intex.

My neighbor of 9 years built our pool, we are very happy with everything and would gladly recommend them. They have been building pools for close to 30 years and they build really great pools. Their website, Reber Pools. Don't be put off by the zillion dollar pools they have built, they also build normal priced pools like ours. Unless you want a zillion dollar pool!

Pics of our pool in build thread link in signature below.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Howdy from Augusta, Ga! Do you have a pool plan in mind?

Yippee <sister to an Aggie class of '73>
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Looking at between 460-500 sqft freeform. I have 3 bids in and just trying to figure which way we want to go. Lots of decking, upwards of 700sqft of pavers with pebble sheen and 3 sheer descents. Want decent led lighting as well.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP, neighbor and fellow Aggie supporter.

As we moved into a house that already had a pool, I cannot offer much on contractors. I can offer up a few suggestions if I were in the market, though. One is to get a 2-speed or variable-speed pump and do a price check on the LEDs vs halogens. Maybe they have come down in price over the last few years, but when I was considering building a pool at my former house about 5 years ago, LEDs were waaaay expensive relative to halogens. Also, I would avoid in-floor cleaning systems.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thoughts on cleaners? Riverbend is offering a Polaris 3900 standard.

7. Back To Top    #7

I would narrow down the list to either pressure-side (most Polaris models) or robot cleaners. While there are a few pressure-side cleaners that do not need a separate booster pump, such as the Polaris 360, most of them will require a booster pump. OTOH, robot cleaners have a self-contained motor that runs off standard 110-120 v household current. Here's more info: Pool School - Automatic Pool Cleaners
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

8. Back To Top    #8

My Dallas-area construction was completed July 2014 - all Pentair. This is my first experience so nothing to compare it to but I can say that the equipment has been problem free.
    26K gal, in-ground, spa, Wet Edge Satin pebble, Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050, Whisperflo 1.5HP, Clean and Clear Plus 520 cartridge, MasterTemp 400, EasyTouch PS-4 and ScreenLogic 2, GloBrite LEDs, DeltaUV D-20, Paramount Clear O3 and PV3, completed July 2014, TF-100, full sun, city water